• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please Check Your Hay

Ali

Warren Veteran
Please Pleas Please check all your hay before giving it to you rabbits, I had a new bale last week, put some into the containers in the bunny shed, the rest went into a barrel in the other big shed, It was in the bunny palace for a couple of days, when I noticed all little black fleas and eggs in the hay, I had to get every thing out of the bunny palace, scub everything and used spot on on Bella and Benji they were not impressed at all bless them:love: . The bale off hay was taken away and burnt.

I am parranoid now they will get Myxi as I dont know if they have been bitten:shock:

I also bought an Industrial electric fly zapper to go in the shed for £50

What else can I do, Bella and Benji seem well, I am keeping a very close eye on them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CHECK YOUR HAY!!

Last edited:
Please Pleas Please check all your hay before giving it to you rabbits, I had a new bale last week, put some into the containers in the bunny shed, the rest went into a barrel in the other big shed, It was in the bunny palace for a couple of days, when I noticed all little black fleas and eggs in the hay, I had to get every thing out of the bunny palace, scub everything and used spot on on Bella and Benji they were not impressed at all bless them:love: . The bale off hay was taken away and burnt.

I am parranoid now they will get Myxi as I dont know if they have been bitten:shock:

I also bought an Industrial electric fly zapper to go in the shed for £50

What else can I do, Bella and Benji seem well, I am keeping a very close eye on them.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CHECK YOUR HAY!!

OMG!!! read my post here :shock: :shock: :shock: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=101480

Thanks Ali!

I found a small thing in my hay the other day, looked more like a mite than a flea and a squashed it straight away! But it did make me very paranoid and I'm checking each time I put more in.

The whole bale was riddled with them, as well as eggs they were all over the bunny palace, making me itch typing about it:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh good Lord! How disgusting! Burn baby Burn :evil: :evil: :evil: I check mine already though, mainly for spiders though. I don't think a fly could survive in my house longer than a few hours there's a trillion spiders.

Thats terrible. I have a horse and can get hay from the yard, but I am worried about things being in the hay, so always spend out on the pre packed stuff. Anyone ever had this same problem with that. Bless you Ali....

BTW can we see pics of your bunny palace it sounds lovely. xxx

who did you get it from? I'd report it or email them about it and never buy from them again.

I got it from my normal local supplier, I dont think its his fault, its in the hay when its cut, It just gor burnt, :roll: :roll:

For their litter trays im using Timothy hay from pets at home at the moment, and
PF4P Bunny Basics Premium 1st Cut timothy buy 2 get 1 free, and ! NEW Proper Food 4 Pets™ Sundried 2nd cut Timothy 1k

I am not going to risk another bale yet:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh good Lord! How disgusting! Burn baby Burn :evil: :evil: :evil: I check mine already though, mainly for spiders though. I don't think a fly could survive in my house longer than a few hours there's a trillion spiders.

YUCK!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: I hate it when you find spiders in it, I am terrified of them:oops: :oops:

Back