• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What are the first signs of snuffles?

kath w

Warren Scout
title says it all! Charly has started sneezing and we are really worried. My daughter thinks she saw some snot but i haven't. He is quite happy eating and pooing well. Just sneezing now and again. Is it such a horrible disease that some websisted make it out to be? Charly hasn't been in contact with any other rabbits since we brought him home 4 weeks tomorrow. Could it be an allergy of somekind. We are taking him to the vets of Monday for his mxyi jab. Anybody have any advice or comments?

Does he have wet patches on the insides of his front legs? This could be a sign that he is wiping his nose.

With regards what else it could be I don't know I"m afraid. My bun has been sneezing recently too but also has watery eyes. I thought it could be snuffles but after some advice from Jane am now thinking it could be teeth related. He's going to the vet early next week.

Hope someone can shed some more light on it for you.

I would mention the sneezing to your Vet. Snuffles can start with just sneezing and then a snotty nose develops.
If there is any risk that Charly may be harbouring an infection then I doubt your Vet will want to vaccinate him.

As Charly appears to be 'well within himself' then hopefully his own immune system will cope and combat any infection. But it may be that antibiotic treatment is needed. As Charly is very young then my *unqualified* opinion is that antibiotics are best left to a 'last resort'

If Pasteurella is the bacteria involved causing 'snuffles' symptoms then antibiotics may not totally irradicate the bacteria but will reduce the symptoms.

Janex

My Charlie's first signs were sneezing with a white discharge. Rabbits can live with snuffles quite well for years - I think it's if it gets on their chest it's cause for concern. My Charlie had a bad bout last bank holiday monday when it did go on to his chest - but he had a course of baytrill and although not cured (as my understanding is there is no cure) he is back to how he was. Still sneezing but a very happy bunny nonetheless!!

We too bought Charlie with snuffles (although we were unaware of this at the time). Although snuffles is potentially dangerous, many many rabbits live for years with it without too much of a problem so don't let the websites scare you too much. Please, however, mention it to your vet. If you bought your bunny with snuffles, then the seller/pet shop should be made aware of it as the rest of their bunnies may also have it and your vet can advise you on the best way forward. :)

Thanks. He doesn't appear to be sneezing so much this morning. Wondering if it is dust or something. I will mention it to the vet tomorrow though. I think he also had statis when we bought him - never mind he is so cute we all love him to bits.

Back