• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long haired bunnies

drboo

Mama Doe
Sorry for asking what might be a silly question, and it isn't a dig at anyone who breeds long haired bunnies, but why have bunnies been bred with long hair? Was it for the fur? or for showing? Its just that I have 2 long haired bunnies, and apart from making them very hot recently in the nice weather, and having to be brushed to stop it getting matted, I can't see any purpose to a bunny having long hair other than looking nice. Thanks :wave:

Angora fur can be spun into wool for knitting. Certainly some of the original breeding was do do with meat & fur production rather than pets or showing.

Tam

Well...humans have a tendency to breed animals they find cute with no regards on the rabbit's wellbeing.
However longhaired bunnies can do fine as long as they're groomed regularly and perhaps clipped in the summer time.

Angoras were bred for their wool, just like sheep. But lionheads and other longaired bunnies I think were bred mostly because they are cute.

Myself I love longhaired animals, they're just gorgeous! I have a longhaired hamster but she's very good at keeping her fur clean (she's not as fuzzy as a longhaired rabbit or a male of her own species, for some reason longhaired hamster males are fuzzier than the females)

Lionheads are a relatively need breed though aren't they?

I must say though, I've always thought Nibbles was bred to be cute. I bought her a from a pet shop too so it really goes without saying. She's an angora Lionhead cross, with black and white Dutch markings and eyes that "glow" red in certain light (like cats do). She's my little posh baby!

Back