• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi

KarinB

Warren Scout
Please forgive me if this is mentioned somewhere else but I read a lot of posts where bunnies are ill/have died from Myxi. Have these rabbits been vaccinated or is it something even a vaccinated rabbit can contract?

ive heard they can still get it even when vaccinated so i used rabbit spot on on Alvin only to be told in another forum that flea stuff kills rabbits.... *lost*

Yes a vaccinated rabbit can contact it.Although they do have a better a chance of fighting it if they are vaccinated i believe.

exactly right wat becca said.
my rabbit was pts frm it tuesday she was sadly not vaccinated and i will never forgive myself. there is a big outbreak of mxyi right now and bunnies that live out are more at risk

Smudge and Daisy are vaccinated against it every 6 months on the dot so i can only hope the vaccination helps stopping them getting it but it really is a big worry, isn't it.

All my rabbits are vacinated every 6 months from Myxi, but it still hasn't stopped Ginny (who our vets think may have it, but they are unsure at the mo as they think we have caught it really early) possibly contracting myxi.

Hopefully one day the vacination will stop them getting it, but until then keep on vacinating your rabbit.

Definately keep up the vaccinations. My Vet said that at the moment even vaccinated bunnies are struggling as in Lincolnshire apparently there is an epidemic. However for certain reasons mine were not vaccinated and now I believe that I definately did the wrong thing. I wish now I had had them vaccinated. For some stupidand naive reason, living city centre I also thought that we would not get it! I have had bunnies long enough to know better. I also have a close friend who had a bunny die after the myxi jab, which was another reason I chose not to vaccinate. However now, I take all that back. PLEASE VACCINATE no matter what you may have heard.....

ive heard they can still get it even when vaccinated so i used rabbit spot on on Alvin only to be told in another forum that flea stuff kills rabbits.... *lost*

There are some flea products (like frontline) which can kill rabbits but there are also some that are ok - ask your vet what to use. Having said that, de-fleaing your bun is no substitute for the vaccination; myxi can also be passed by flying insects like gnats and mosquitos, plus a flea can bite your bun and pass on the virus before being killed by the flea stuff :cry:

It's true that the vaccine is not 100% effective however it is still by far the most effective way of preventing your bun developing myxi. Occasionally a vaccinated bun will develop a 'nodular' form of myxi which is not usually life threatening, and sadly this year there have been a number of cases of vaccinated rabbits contracting full blown myxi. As they will have some kind of immunity from the vaccine there is a much better chance of vaccinated rabbits recovering if they do get it.

There are also an extremely large number of vaccinated rabbits who haven't developed it though, so I definitely wouldn't rule out vaccination and would encourage everyone to have it done preferably every 6 months at the moment as it's so wet and there are so many mozzies around!

alvins had all his vaccines, i got the spot on because we have a dog and i dont want anything flea like living on my babies.... i will ask my vet if its ok to continue to use it as i did witness a flying bug fly down to Alvin and fly straight away again so id like to think its helping alot with this nasty disease going around.... its due to be reapplied a week or two after his op so ill see what the luvly vet thinks is best :D

Back