• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They don't understand

rineyroo

Mama Doe
My mother has just told me I'm not getting any more animals because I get upset because they die. I didn't even say about getting any more. I'm 22 for god's sake. Then she told me I should put Snowy and my recently widowed guinea pig Daniel together, because according to her they'd get on well :censored: :censored: . Everyone thinks I'm being stupid for crying over Horris. They just don't understand the pain I'm feeling. I can't concentrate. I can't eat. Every time I look at Snowy I cry.

Last edited:
You will, and are entitled to feel raw for a while. Don't beat yourself up too much, and just feel sorry for people who don't understand as they've never know what it is like to love an animal.
Take care x

we said we wouldn't get any more animals because of the recent death of our hamster and many pets before her, but we are now getting two rabbits. Morne your bun and when you feel ready, talk to others about your loss. It helps.

my mum says the same to me i think thats because she knows how i will be when Crystal goes! but i have personally decided that after this lot have gone i wont be getting any more rabbits

Try saying this to your Mum :

'I am prepared to bare the pain of loss for all the joy a Rabbit brings in his/her lifetime' Avoiding the pain of loss means avoiding the joy of sharing time with a Bun'

As for GPs and Rabbits, just tell your Mum that ALL Rabbit/GP Welfare organisations AND the RSPCA say that GPs and Buns should *not* be housed together

Janex :)

a lot of people dont understand how much pets are family.... only fellow animal lovers see the pain people suffer.... it took my mom 3 years to get over her beloved queenie (a dog), a mate at work 2 years on still gets upset over the loss of his best mate Arnie (also a dog) im still struggling with the loss of george as he was my bundle of fluff who got me over the death of my dad and in turn Alvin is helping me with the loss of george..... it hurts for such a long time but that is grieving and noone can tell you how long it will last for.... and as for no more pets please dont listen to your mom, they make us happier and better people they are unconditional in the love they give and they do help us to fill that big empty hole a loss brings.... they also help us where we are sad just by being them

Any being that shares your life, that brings joy, is very sorely missed when they are gone. Animals are such wonerful companions, they don't mind when you have had a bad day, and will often cheer you up with their antics.

It is perfectly normal to get upset, and miss them - it took me years to get over the passing of my dog...

Thinking of you

(((HUGS)))

Ax

I understand how you feel and a lot of people here will also :)

I have been made to feel silly sometimes by some people because i looooove my animals so much, in fact i love them and prefer them much more than people sometimes :rolleyes:

I have a little plaque hung in my kitchen which reads:

"The more people i meet,
the more i love my cats" :D

Which pretty much sums me up nicely :lol:

Big hug for you xxxx

That is one of the things that is SO fantastic about this forum.....when we are frightened, or upset, or grieving over one of our buns, we can come on here and share it with other forum members, and know that they WILL understand, because they feel the exact same way!:D I think of the ones who DON'T understand as 'The Outsiders'!!!:lol:

Rineyroo.....whenever you are feeling totally overwhelmed with your grief, or just sad and weepy, come on here, and there will ALWAYS be someone on here to listen and help you through. ::hugs:: X

Thank you everyone for your comments. It's all helped. I'm feeling a lot better now and remembering the good times Horris and I shared. Snowy seems ok. I showed her Horris' body and she sniffed him and licked his head. I buried him earlier. I'm going to get some kind of bush or plant as a memorial to him.

I bought this when my Barney went to the bridge

IMG_0392.jpg

its doing really well its had lots of flowers on it:D

As long as I live in my parent's house, I'm only allowed to buy a certain number of pets:roll: (I'm 19)
But as luck is, I attend to an agriculture school, so it happened every so often if I wanted a pet but mom said no, I'd take home a pet from school:lol: (It has worked twice. I took home 2 lop dwarves, afterwards mom let me buy a second rabbit. I took home a hamster, and kept him from every holiday (except summer) for a year and suddenly I was allowed to buy a hamster:D If only the school had rats.....)

My "holiday hamster" pretty much died in my arms which was devastating both for me and my mom:cry:

I bought this when my Barney went to the bridge

IMG_0392.jpg

its doing really well its had lots of flowers on it:D

I did this pot for Phoeb when we lost her in June, it seems to help somehow and it's nice seeing it in flower.:)

LPIC0065.jpg

Ali and Maizy- your plants are lovely :)

We did this when we lost our beloved cat Tibby, she was 19 when she died, and seeing the plant flowering was very heartwarming and comforting. I think it's a great idea :)

Thank you everyone for your comments. It's all helped. I'm feeling a lot better now and remembering the good times Horris and I shared. Snowy seems ok. I showed her Horris' body and she sniffed him and licked his head. I buried him earlier. I'm going to get some kind of bush or plant as a memorial to him.
I got a friend a rose bush when one of her beloved bunnies died. The rose was called Freedom and thats just what the bunny enjoyed. My friend loved it and the good thing about roses is that they're fine to be nibbled by other buns too.

I've just done a search for roses/plants with the name Horris or Horace but have drawn a blank but there are lots named after characteristics (like freedom).

awwww hunny :cry: Some people just dot understand! :(
I hope she lets you get a friend for Snowy when the time is right , just give her all the info on here ;) .

I am blessed in the fact that when an animal dies, that mum usually ends up more of a wreck than I do! :lol: So she cant use that excuse onme . I know she will be inconsolable when Isaac goes :( :?

I am the same as you, when I lost my bun last year I said I would not get another as I was so distraught and could not stop crying. My other bun became depressed and ill so I could see his grief too.

I had to get a grip on myself for the sake of our bunny and decided to go to the RSPCA to find him a mate. When we brought her home our bunny did pick up (even though it took 4 months to get them bonded), it also helped us to get over our loss. It is also good to know that we have given another bun a good home.

They give so much unconditional love that it is so hard when we lose them. Take care.

Back