• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming advice

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
Hi,

Piper and Minstrel are indoor buns but do go out on the grass on warm days.

Do I need to worm them , what worming paste is recommended and how often does it need doing.

Sorry if this is an obvious question that I should know already.

Helen x

panacur, gets rid of most worms and it is not absorbed by the body.

!!! Your bund can get infected through hay and vegetables as well, they don't need to eat grass to get worms...

panacur, gets rid of most worms and it is not absorbed by the body.

!!! Your bund can get infected through hay and vegetables as well, they don't need to eat grass to get worms...
Thank you Clicquot on your older post on worming w/ the photo. Someone on that thread mentioned that worms can cause GI upset, so I talked to my vet about it, & she put my bun who is in stasis on panacur and bunny is much better finally. How often do you use panacur? Only when you think they have something, or do you do it preventatively? I have read that panacur is extremely safe, but also have read that a tolerance to it could be developed, so I don't know what is the best thing to do for the future :?

I plan to use it ones a year, at the moment , they were tested and all worms were gone. We will retest in a month to be sure. The test only costs 15 euro, so I think ist is worth doing it, just to be sure... Some of the breeders I know threath their rabbits one a year now, wether they see worms yes or no.

They were wormed with a 9 day course of Panacur before you collected them. I would recommend repeating it yearly and at any time they come into contact with other rabbits IE Boarding or if you get a new bunny.

Back