• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit escaped from run... *warning*

Well I had something of a shock last night!

I have the following run for my rabbits:

33749_trixie_freilaufgehege_1.jpg

I don't know how it happened but the front door part opened and Barley escaped. I only ever put the rabbits in the run when I am about - and keep a fairly close eye on them, but I had popped back into the house for something. I heard a loud rattle that I knew was the run, rushed outside so see the end door open and no rabbit in the run :shock: had a quick look around (could see Willow our cat in the proximity of the run - but not at the door end), then saw Barley sat by the hutches... phew! Walked up to him and picked him up straight away! Can't imagine what would have happened if say I'd popped to the bathroom instead as I wouldn't have heard it from there and may have been longer!

I really didn't think that the rabbit would be able to open the door as the handle has to be pushed out quite far and then accross! But I'll certainly be using something, metal clip of padlock (don't mean he needs locking away it's just all I can think of at the moment) or somthing, so that door is more secure in the future... certainly gave me a fright!

Just thought I ought to warn anyone else who has this run to do the same if you haven't already!

Thanks

Hannah

Bloomin 'eck, how scary!!, glad you were supervising and spotted it and that the bunnies are safe now, well done!

Try a dog lead clip.

I've got the same run, and I can imagine that the door might open if the rabbits rattled it.

I've recently found out that one of mine can easily jump out of a 2 foot run, so one of these runs is ideal for her.

Amy

Yes I think Barley must have rather overly excited did rattle the door, it's all I can think of, I just didn't think he would be able to rattle it that much!

I've certainly learnt my lesson though, just can't believe I didn't think of it before!

I have a very similar one and use four panels to put around the patio doors almost in a fire guard fashion, Charlie can lift it up and move it! Luckily he can't get far and its only put there to save the sofa from him.

That's creepy, makes me glad mine doesn't even have a door:roll: (Of course...that means I have to climb into the pen whenever I pick up the bunnies.:lol:

I have two of these runs, and when the bunnies are very excited and running around, they sometimes hit the metal with their back legs. Maybe that was enough rattling to open the door. The handles on mine are still quite difficult to move, but I assume that after a while they wear out and slide across more easily. Thanks for the warning.

That run looks great - where do you get them from?

I got mine from Zooplus. I got the largest one which is about 7ft x just under 4ft I think. It's not as large as it looks in the photos, they are some very small rabbits in the one in the photo!

They are quite convenient but I don't think they are as secure as a traditional wooden one (esp after what happened last night!).

H

Back