• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex boys and hock sores

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Sorry - I know this topic has been covered before but I would like some ideas if possible. My three boys live in a 16ft hutch with an indoor 16ft run and I'm trying to come up with some ideas for sorting out developing hock sores. Obviously vet bed is a very expensive option in this case :shock: , I've checked their nails and they're not long but the odd thing is the sores are not on the heel of their feet but in the middle - any ideas as to why? I've concidered baby socks but knowing them they'll last 2seconds and I was thinking maybe that tape that some of the buns come home with after ops that isn't sticky when you take it off - if anyone knows what I'm on about do you know where I can get some? Any other ideas? Thanks

What is on the floor of your hutch and run? Good idea to put in loads of straw, and I mean loads;)
Also carpet can cause sore spots on buns feet.

They have newspaper and hay upstairs then down they have sawdust in some parts and straw and hay in others - I could cover the entire floor with straw - although part of me dreads the idea as I know the 14 of them will use it as one big toilet then! :roll: If I put paper down first it would help with that tho ....

It's better than having the expense at the vet to treat the sore hocks and the discomfort your buns will be in.

Are none of them litter trained. My shed is full of straw and none of mine pee in the straw clever wee things use the litter tray. Some times using hay all over the shed/hutch can just seem like a big litter tray, but straw is different and containing the hay to the litter tray might help them use it and not the whole hutch/shed.:D

They do use the litter trays when theres just sawdust on the floor but when there's straw and hay on the floor it all goes to pot :oops: or not :rolleyes:

They do use the litter trays when theres just sawdust on the floor but when there's straw and hay on the floor it all goes to pot :oops: or not :rolleyes:

Little monkeys, like Mandy suggested stable matting might help. I got some for the run attached to the shed. The floor of the run was slabs and that irritated Mhairi's hocks. Matting is brill.:D

Thanks Mandy - that info is really interesting. Am just going to have a look at the stable matting - sounds like a poss. :D

Have you tried looking on "that auction site"? I remember Jane mentioning a while back that she bought a load of vet bed quite cheaply. No idea how much she paid tho for how much. Worth a look. What about old towels down on the floor would that help?

Yeh what about the cheap vet bed someone mentioned from wilkinsons? I think it was about £2.50 per mat. You'll probably need a few, 15? That's £37.50

Or a duvet?! On second thoughts.... :? :lol:

www.ebay.co.uk is the site. Handy for some bargains - you do have to have a good look tho and check the P&P charges. I've made that mistake in the past!!:rolleyes:

How are the Beatles doing? x

Try putting a fleece throw down, they are very soft and can easily be washed. It worked for my sister's Rex bunnies :wave:

Carol x

well theres an old breeders treatment of vetsovate BUT they dont make it any more they do fuciderm instead i personly use on my ones dont laugh 'nipple cream' :oops: or dove new skin.

Back