• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best Treatment for Pasturella

beckiboo186

Warren Veteran
Helloo :wave: As I know a lot of you have lots of experience with snuffles, thought I'd ask some advice. Both my ladies have pasturella, Jen far worse than Rhia, but Zoey is reluctant to give them continuous antibiotics as they're both young, otherwise healthy rabbits, and we're worried that they'll do more harm than good. They have had a course of baytril already, which didnt touch it. Our vets doing some research into it, and is going to have a think about the best action to take. Wondering if anyone could give some advice? Thanks Muchly x

Has Pasteurella been confirmed by taking a swab from the Bun's noses?

What are the main symptoms?

The three Boblets who developed Snuffles (contracted from Bobbie, their Mum) just had a snotty nose, their chests were clear. They responded brilliantly to one drop of TIACIL (which are actually eye drops) in each nostril once a day for 5 days. They have all been asymptomatic for over a month now. This treatment is only suitable if the infection is confined to the nasal passages.

Getting a swab done and identifying the exact bacteria involved will mean the most suitable antibiotic can be given.
Having seen the brilliant effect of Tiacil for the Boblets I would certainly use it again for a Bun with an URTI (after consulting my Vet of course)

I hope Jen and Rhia's symptoms subside.

Janex

:wave: I was speaking to a rescue about this and their vet said she had recently been to a seminar on rabbit medicine where they said that the latest advice coming out of the bunny unit at Edinburgh uni is to use a 6 week course of baytril for snuffles!

Personally Santa's seems to respond best to a course of oxytetracycline (terramycin or engemycin are the 2 most frequent 'brands'). My previous vet (I have just switched vets practice (long story :roll: )) used to say that she found terramycin works a treat in most cases, and it's less risky than penicillin.

I will be very interested to see what my new vet has to say about treatment of chronic snuffles; she's on holiday at the mo so I hope to catch up with her about it very soon!

Nope, no swabs been done. Main syptoms are sneezing, discharge from nose and eyes, rattly breathing, and noisy chests. Thanks for reply :) X

:wave: I was speaking to a rescue about this and their vet said she had recently been to a seminar on rabbit medicine where they said that the latest advice coming out of the bunny unit at Edinburgh uni is to use a 6 week course of baytril for snuffles!

Personally Santa's seems to respond best to a course of oxytetracycline (terramycin or engemycin are the 2 most frequent 'brands'). My previous vet (I have just switched vets practice (long story :roll: )) used to say that she found terramycin works a treat in most cases, and it's less risky than penicillin.

I will be very interested to see what my new vet has to say about treatment of chronic snuffles; she's on holiday at the mo so I hope to catch up with her about it very soon!

Thanks for that Alison :) Will suggest your suggestions to Zoey when I speak to her. I really dont want to use something that will do more harm than good, especially in Rhia, as she's only very young. Also, Rhias treatment has to be injectable, as you just cant get a syringe anywhere near her mouth, shes not just hard to get meds into, she freaks when you go near her mouth Xx

Swabs can be useful, but apparently it's difficult to culture pasteurella as it's often dead by the time it gets into the nose (it often lives in little abscesses), so don't be too disillusioned if swabs come back with nothing. Of course if it does pick up the bacteria and give you a good antibiotic match then that's a fantastic help :D

The other thing is that dental problems can cause or exacerbate snuffles, so it might be worth considering a skull x-ray to have a look at the tooth roots.

Swabs can be useful, but apparently it's difficult to culture pasteurella as it's often dead by the time it gets into the nose (it often lives in little abscesses), so don't be too disillusioned if swabs come back with nothing. Of course if it does pick up the bacteria and give you a good antibiotic match then that's a fantastic help :D

The other thing is that dental problems can cause or exacerbate snuffles, so it might be worth considering a skull x-ray to have a look at the tooth roots.

Thanks again for reply :) We did at first think towards dental probs, as they didnt really have many symptoms, but then it'd be near impossible that they both started with snotty noses etc at the same time :? Bloomin things :roll: X

When you find one, let me know!!

Charlie has been on Baytril, then another anti b, then back onto baytril and tonight he had a huge sneezing fit with white/green discharge! :cry:

I don't know what else to do! He doesn't have runny eyes though :) At the moment his chest is clear but it was a different story on the bank holiday! :?

He is 8/9 months old now - would the Tiacil still work do you think, even though he has had snuffles since forever!!??? The vet said that a swab would cost £50 to grow a culture and since it might not ever grow one (as in the bacteria being dead) not sure if it would be worth it!

ARC took in a group of buns a few months ago, some of them had problems with sneezing although no nasal discharge. There chests sounds were clear and no problems with their eyes or teeth. The worst ones were treated with antibiotics with no resultomg change in them sneezing, they still have no signs of discharge. They have been re-examined by our lovely vet who has suggested that they are not restarted on more antibiotics as there chests remain clear and their is no discharge. They do remain to have bouts of intermittent sneezing every now and again.

Both my rabbits had running nose and respiratory problems, luckily no pasteurella, we took a swab. They have some germs, but they should be able to fight them thereselves. To help them do that, they get Bisolvon, who can help them get rid of slime on the lungs.

Now what you can do anyway, is give them herbs. Mine get rosemarin every day. The advantage is that is is an natural desinfectant. By eating rosemarin, the upper parts of troath will be desinfected in a natural way. Offcourse this won't heal them, but it will help them to fight it.
My vet was ashtonished that they eat it, but very enthousisastic, he said I should keep rosemarin (and other herbs by the way: basilicum, thymian, persil, sage) as part of their daily nutrition, since it is very good for their immunity and their fur.

I had good results from using an antibiotic called Ronoxan (sp?).

This was for a LOWER resp. tract infection though.

We'd already used Baytril and Septrin without any improvement.

It comes in pill form, so you could probs crush the pill and hide it in food.

Amy

I've also had good results with ronaxan on an upper respiratory tract infection so it must work on both! The tablets are ever so small, so I found it easiest to pop it into a little slice of banana and it got munched down without even being noticed :lol:

You're lucky. Mine wouldn't take it in food. She is a fussy eater though.

I had to crush the pill, then add it to water, then try to syringe as much as possible into her mouth without her spitting it out :roll:

Amy

What worked here with baytril. I got is liquid, I always put it on 2 pieces of science selectiv, they never noticed it :)

Back