• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex - Update 14th bad new and more bad news

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Rex my nethie cross has had to bacjk to the vets for further blood tests. After his initial ones 6 weeks ago he has gone downhill, the only to things to show up in the first ones were an increased liver enzime, this was put down to his not eating correctly due to a very large and well hidden molar spur. He also has kidney stones but there was nothing wrong with his kidney function at the time. He was back at the vets today for more bloods as he isn't eating properly, his coeat has gone very very dull he has lost a little weight, and is drinking 650ml in 14 hours (that is between 2 buns but both are dwarf and thats more than my group of three drink) he seems very quiet and his ears are flopped forward. Anyone any ideas??

Last edited:
I replied to this yesterday :?
Where did my post go :shock: :?

Sorry, Phill.

It does sound as though Rex may now have compromised Kidney function.
Did he have a GA to sort out his molar spur and were the Kidney stones diagnosed from an abdominal X-ray ?

If a Bun is bordering on Renal Failure a GA *might* be enough to push them into it. But of course a Bun needing a complicated Dental has to have a GA or they'll starve.

I hope the Vets can come up with some answers and that Rex can be made more comfortable.

Now I am going to try to find out where the long post I typed out yesterday went....................:?

Janex

Hi Jane yes when he went 6 weeks ago, he had a ga to sort the spur and after had an x-ray which confirmed the kidney stones, as i say last time his bloods came back with nothing but an increase in the liver enzimes.

Ok Jane i really need your FHB head on please!! The bloods are back and they are showing an increase in the same liver enzyme as Tilly had, but they are also showing muscle break down. Hazel is phoning edinburgh to see what they suggest as we are now both worried as this is the second bun to come down with almost the same symptoms. there was no PM done on Tilly as we felt through all the various tests that the only possible cause were a cancer, or liver disease and i wasn't prepared to go further with the investigations after she died. HELP!!!

Ok Jane i really need your FHB head on please!! The bloods are back and they are showing an increase in the same liver enzyme as Tilly had, but they are also showing muscle break down. Hazel is phoning edinburgh to see what they suggest as we are now both worried as this is the second bun to come down with almost the same symptoms. there was no PM done on Tilly as we felt through all the various tests that the only possible cause were a cancer, or liver disease and i wasn't prepared to go further with the investigations after she died. HELP!!!

Oh blimey :? :cry:

Did Hazel say what Liver Enzymes are raised?
I *think* Hepatic Coccidiosis causes a rise in at least 2 of the Liver Enzymes. But so do some cancers.

Has Hazel mentioned Hepatic Coccidiosis?

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171332.htm

Janex

Thanks for the link Jane, she did say which enzyme but i can't remember the name! The normal levels are supposed to be 50-80 and rex's are at 96, which according to lab is fine :roll: :roll: But Hazel disagrees hugely! that combined with the muscle breal down and increase in water consumtion has got her really worried and me!

Sorry to but in :oops: but how does muscle wastage present physicaly? Is it through weight loss and would there be any type of co-ordination/balance problem or even a slightly 'floppy' feel like a loss of strenght?

Thanks for the link Jane, she did say which enzyme but i can't remember the name! The normal levels are supposed to be 50-80 and rex's are at 96, which according to lab is fine :roll: :roll: But Hazel disagrees hugely! that combined with the muscle breal down and increase in water consumtion has got her really worried and me!

So was his Kidney Function OK? :?

Janex

Hmm i don't think it could be Hepatic Coccidiosis, the conditions are all wrong, esp considering that Tilly lived with Eva and Ron and at the opposite end of the garden to Rex and rex lives with Molly and she is 100% healthy, surely if it were this Molly would be unwell as well??

Sorry to but in :oops: but how does muscle wastage present physicaly? Is it through weight loss and would there be any type of co-ordination/balance problem or even a slightly 'floppy' feel like a loss of strenght?

It's presented in Rex as weight loss, but no instability of any kind

Yep his Kidney function was 100%

I *think*knowing exactly what Liver Enzyme is raised makes it more possible to work out what is going on :?

Has Rex had an abdominal ultrasound? This may give more information.
Liver abscesses do occur in Rabbits and they would obviously affect Liver function.
Bile duct obstruction may also be identified on U/S I *think*

Drinking lots of water is a feature of Liver Disease aswell as Kidney failure.

I am sure Edinburgh will come up with much more useful info than I could ever hope to!!

Sending tons of vibes for Rex

Janex :wave:

Ok Hazel has heard back from Edinburgh they have had a look at the blood test results and Rex has hepatic Lipidosis. Which is a secondary problem caused by anorexia, and of course all this started with him loosing weight and we did find a molar spur. The excess drinking is also secondary to the anorexia. rex is back tommorow for a bunch more tests and x-rays so we can try and figure out why he is anorexic, a few possibliltys are 1) he has overly long teeth and tooth roots which are now causing him some discomfort 2) it is now phsycological (sp) from when he had the spur and the switch in his brain hasn't stoppe dit through depression!! :shock: 3) Molly is bullying him off the food cause she's grumpy. The third option is very unlikely as Molly and rex go anf follow each other every where! The muscle wastage is also down to the hepatic lipidosis! My bunnies can never be simple! and i really hope he isn't depressed or i will feel really really bad

Ok Hazel has heard back from Edinburgh they have had a look at the blood test results and Rex has hepatic Lipidosis. Which is a secondary problem caused by anorexia, and of course all this started with him loosing weight and we did find a molar spur. The excess drinking is also secondary to the anorexia. rex is back tommorow for a bunch more tests and x-rays so we can try and figure out why he is anorexic, a few possibliltys are 1) he has overly long teeth and tooth roots which are now causing him some discomfort 2) it is now phsycological (sp) from when he had the spur and the switch in his brain hasn't stoppe dit through depression!! :shock: 3) Molly is bullying him off the food cause she's grumpy. The third option is very unlikely as Molly and rex go anf follow each other every where! The muscle wastage is also down to the hepatic lipidosis! My bunnies can never be simple! and i really hope he isn't depressed or i will feel really really bad

Poor Rex :cry:
I do hope Hazel can find out why he is not eating. Are you having to syringe feed him now?

Janex

Poor Rex :cry:
I do hope Hazel can find out why he is not eating. Are you having to syringe feed him now?

Janex

This is what i can't understand Jane, he does appear to be eating his pellets, i've seen him munching, but wether he is actualy eating enough i don't know. Im going to try him with some SR and mushed wheetabix tonight and see what he's like with that, i don't want to give him too much with all the other tests hazel wants to do tommorow, i don't want to throw the results off. the other thing edinburgh said is that there could be a problem with his tum or digestion of his food, but that was more unlikely. Hazel is going to do some Urine protien tests tommorow, and she should from those be able to gauge how much he either is or isn't eating, using what the results of a normal healthy bun should be as a guide.
It's very worrying, i keep thinking that it's something im doing which is making him not eat properly or even not at all. but i just don't see how.

This is what i can't understand Jane, he does appear to be eating his pellets, i've seen him munching, but wether he is actualy eating enough i don't know. Im going to try him with some SR and mushed wheetabix tonight and see what he's like with that, i don't want to give him too much with all the other tests hazel wants to do tommorow, i don't want to throw the results off. the other thing edinburgh said is that there could be a problem with his tum or digestion of his food, but that was more unlikely. Hazel is going to do some Urine protien tests tommorow, and she should from those be able to gauge how much he either is or isn't eating, using what the results of a normal healthy bun should be as a guide.
It's very worrying, i keep thinking that it's something im doing which is making him not eat properly or even not at all. but i just don't see how.

I really dont think you have done anything to make him poorly. It is always the way that we blame ourselves though.
I hope all the tests go well for Rex tomorrow and I am sending mega vibes for him.

Janex

Back