• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a Foursome

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I have two pairs of rabbits. Pippa and MJ are very very close, Teddy and Jemima less so but their bond is getting stronger over time.

How does bonding four rabbits work? I think Pippa, Teddy and Jemima would bond fine but MJ not so sure. He gets uptight when Teddy goes near his run. It would make my life loads easier though if all four lived together, and I could give them twice the amount of space they have now.

Is it worth trying before winter or isn't it worth upsetting the existing bonds?

eeep :shock: bonding's not my strong point, but I know they will need a lot of space - my group of 4 has a 5x8 shed opening onto a secure patio (which they have to take turns on with the single bunnies) - what kind of set-up were you planning? :)

I've bonded two existing paris and it worked out well. I would say though that you need to be prepared for it not to work and always have a plan "B" just in case. Appart from that its just normal bonding rules - make sure everything is neutral for introductions, allow plenty of time, don't separate once started etc.

I've just done it too. I wouldn't read too much into a bun getting uptight at seeing another when they go near his run, they often respond totally differently when they're not 'defending their territory'. I really wasn't convinced that my two girls were going to get on as they were often tails-up running the boundary but after just a couple of chases they now absolutely adore each other - you really can't tell how they will behave.

I took mine to a rescue where there was lots of neutral space and other smells, and just let all four of them out into an enclosure with me and Caroline with gloves and squirty water at the ready! After 20 minutes of not-a-lot of action, I sat down with a book and spent the day sunbathing while they spent the day bonding. I had to intervene a couple of times and shout several times more, but after that one day there, a car ride home and about 4 days indoors (with me sleeping on the kitchen floor with them in case there were any fights), they were all absolutely fine.

Back