• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can hutch be smaller than 6ft?

GregTheBunny

Warren Scout
Sorry just carrying on from my last thread, i have been told 6x2x2 for my lionhead and mate.

If it was a double/triple decker could it be smaller or is that not the point?

If you're adopting from a rescue then you'd need to check with them exactly what they'd consider acceptable.

Personally I'm more interested in overall space so I would be quite happy to house rabbits in a 4' hutch with a large run as long as the overall space was the same as they'd get with the recommended 6' hutch & run.

With double storey hutches the ramp/holes take out some of the space so you'd need to keep that in consideration and the general space for turning around etc. For example a 3'x2' double story hutch isn't the equivalent of a 6'x2' hutch.

Tam

Yes I'd agree to check with the rescue, I know of a couple who absolutely hate double/triple storey hutches because of the risks to rabbits slipping/breaking bones etc, especially as they get older or develop health issues like failing eyesight. But each rescue will have its own considerations.

If you are considering smaller, I would stress that the depth and height of the hutch are still just as important, to allow the bun/s the freedom to stretch right up and to have decent shelter from the weather.

I have my two in a 5x3 double storey hutch and it's big enough. I agree with the ramp and its access hole reducing the actual amount of floor space. That's why I had mine made 3' instead of the standard 2'.

Oh i didnt think about the health issues. Maybe best to stick with single then.

Problem is now i have found my ideal hutch/run but we are talking £300 :roll:

most of the ready made hutches seem to be less than 2ft wide and tall

Oh i didnt think about the health issues. Maybe best to stick with single then.

Problem is now i have found my ideal hutch/run but we are talking £300 :roll:

most of the ready made hutches seem to be less than 2ft wide and tall

Did you look at the links people have posted? the 6 x 2 x 2 happy hutch with attached 6 x 4 x 2 run is only around £110 on ebay and that would be great for your bunnies :)

Have a look at buying the basic 6' hutch and then some aviary panels - you can use them on their side to build a run pretty quickly. Or buy the hutch and build a bigger run. You can also ask the hutch company to add a few extra feet to the run.

Tam

Did you look at the links people have posted? the 6 x 2 x 2 happy hutch with attached 6 x 4 x 2 run is only around £110 on ebay and that would be great for your bunnies :)

I have this and I'm very happy with it. Two of the rabbits don't like the ramp so I've carpeted it and they're happier using it now. You can also box off ramps to make them safer as the rabbits get older.

yes thats the one i was on about, i ask if he did extras but they said no

also, where i was planning on putting it is a slight L shape, there is plenty of space but not shape iykwim, but no doubt it would be modifyable

Back