• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye problem

Sandra

Warren Scout
My girl Waffles has a watery eye. It started about one and a half week ago and the discharge is all clear - no puss. I took her to the vet a week ago and the vet prescribed some eye drops for us to take twice a day for a week. We have given her the drops for a week now, but her eye is still the same. It is only one eye that is watery and she is acting just like normal (eating, pooping, running etc.).

Any advice?

do you bed her on shavings? As sometimes this can irritate their eyes.

The other thing that springs to mind is how old is she & has she ever had tooth problems? Sometimes their tooth roots can be too long & make their eyes watery, your vet will only be able to tell if this is the problem by doing a skull xray.

Hope you can get to the bottom of what`s causing it soon.

Su.x

I had this problem with one of mine last October and was given orange coloured packet of drops, these did not work. They then flushed his tear ducts out and gave me tiacil, this cleared it for a week or so and then came back so I continue with the tiacil again and this cleared and he has not had a problem with them since. You should get your vet to check that it is not the teeth though as this could also be a problem.

Thanks! She is 6 months old and I have her running free in the apartment so we do not use any shavings for bedding. My bun Roger has no problem with his eyes... Could it be allergy? And can she have tooth problems already at this young age? The vet just looked at her teeth when we were there but did not say anything about it...

Back