• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit season

mullethead

Mama Doe
Hi,everybody,could Anybody Tell Me If Does Have A Season And If So When Does This Start And How Often Are They.
Also Getting A Buck 2moz Which Has Been Castrated To Bond With My Doe So Any Extra Tips On Bonding Would Be Greatfull,but They Wont Be Going Together Straight Away Only Through The Mesh Thanks Rick

Rabbits dont have 'seasons' they are induced ovulators ie they become ready to mate in response to the smell/behaviour of a Buck or by dominance mounting by another Doe

If your Doe is entire then the Buck must be kept seperate for at least 4 weeks as Bucks can remain fertile after castration. There is debate about how long post Castration fertility lasts.....

Also, an entire Doe is at risk of Uterine Cancer/Infection so you may want to consider getting her spayed.

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/uterine.htm

Bonding is best done on 100% neutral territory. Some chasing and fur pulling is 'normal' but the bonding process requires CONSTANT supervision.

Janex

thanks,ive got to keep them separate for six weeks ive been told,my doe is booked in to be spayed next week,thanks for the advice,rick:)

Back