• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sapphire's neck..advice please

capel

Warren Veteran
When doing Sapphire's check tonight we noticed this painful area on her skin. There is a band of skin around her neck which has hardly any hair, which I'd put down to the mites/lice problem for which she is being treated. When she went for her VHD on Monday I mentioned it to Kevin and he had a look and said it would all clear up eventually but to keep an eye on it. However , what we saw tonight definitely wasn't there then, but I didn't check last night as I spent most of the time cleaning her bum! Here's some pics..the skin looks very inflammed..more so than is evident on these photos....I'll whip her back to the vet tomoroow, but what can I do in the interim? I think I read that savlon isn't good for buns, but I do have Flamazine.
DSC02690.jpg

DSC02692.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

DSC02694.jpg

It might be a fungal dermatitis. Vet can check for that. Canesten Cream can be useful for Fungal Dermatitis. Or it may be bacterial in which case something like Fuciderm may be prescribed

Does she have Dental problems ?

Janex

Thanks for answering so quickly. She has no dental problems. Kevin said she's got lovely teeth. The back ones were looked at using a scopey thingmyjig down her mouth. The skin is broken and I'm just worried that it may attract flies/ The area is generally totally hidden by the fold of skin created by her dewlap. Should I put flamazine on it until tomorrow?

Thanks for answering so quickly. She has no dental problems. Kevin said she's got lovely teeth. The back ones were looked at using a scopey thingmyjig down her mouth. The skin is broken and I'm just worried that it may attract flies/ The area is generally totally hidden by the fold of skin created by her dewlap. Should I put flamazine on it until tomorrow?

I dont think I'd put anything on it til you know if its bacterial or fungal. If its fungal Flamazine may make it worse.
If she's outdoors you could cover her hutch/run with some sort of netting tonight to stop the flies getting in.
The fact that it's flared up more severely after her vaccination makes me think it *might* be bacterial but its best to make sure before putting any POM on it

Janex :)

I've loads of fly screen netting so I'll do that. Thankfully it seems to have turned quite cold so there shouldn't be much fly activity now..i was a bit concerned about the possibility of them having got at her this afternoon. We have had a close look and it all looks very clean..just sore.

I've loads of fly screen netting so I'll do that. Thankfully it seems to have turned quite cold so there shouldn't be much fly activity now..i was a bit concerned about the possibility of them having got at her this afternoon. We have had a close look and it all looks very clean..just sore.

You may not have any, but Aloe Vera Gel is very soothing for dermatitis. I am using it for myself aswell now!!

Janex

The earliest appointment I could get for her is 4.20..so vibes for her please. I'm just hoping it's not fungal.

AW thanks:) I know it's nothing serious, but my stomach is in knots thinking about it at the moment!!! These bunnies certainly wrap themselves round our heartstrings don't they?:lol:

Lots of healing vibes for Sapphire.

Could it have been caused by a bit of over-grooming? Inky had similar when he was moulting (Smokey had pulled a lump of fur out) and he was given some Surolan to put on it. It's healed up really well now.

HI:wave: I'm pretty sure it's not been caused by overgrooming as she is a solo bun, and because of her dewlap she has a bit of a problem getting to that area. I'm just about to get her ready to go now, so will update as soon as I get back.

Just back. Vet is pretty sure it's not fungal and thinks Sapphirehas done it while scratching herself. The area around the broken skin is clean and scabbed over, though the surrounding patch is so totally hairless that it looks as though sh's been scalped:shock: I've asked her to do a test so she's taken a small amount of the hair and a small skin scrape.

She's fine, thanks:) The bald patch looks worse as the vet removed some, but it seems clear of infection and I haven't noticed her worrying at it!. I'm about to put download some more videos in the photo section. Rog spent all morning with Pansy and Sapphire in their runs with the camera(while I was battling my way up the M60 to Elaine's and getting lost just1.5 times..I really SHOULD learn to listen to Mr. Satnav!!)

Back