• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Expenditure - reference list?

duracell

Alpha Buck
I know we all love our buns and never resent spending on the things they need but I was wondering if we could perhaps see if we could make a list of rabbit expenses so potential bunny owners could see the start up costs and yearly maintinence costs. I thought if people could post and add to the list then at the end perhaps some one could make the definitive list and it could be put in the reference section.

I would have found this helpful before I got a bun and I think it may help people who are thinking of getting a bun, it may even make some people think twice and perhaps prevent a case of neglect. For instance:

Outdoor hutch and run 6' x 2' x 2' £150 (ish) ebay happy hutch company

Rearguard 1 application £11... cost over 1 year ...£50

I'm too scared to work it out :lol: Although to be fair it's 19 piggies which eat all my money up, not the buns :)

This is definately a good idea, people have asked me and I have told them how much I thought I spent a month, but I'm sure its much more than I think!

Vaccinations - 3 a year - depends on the vet, mine is £16 per go, so £48 for each bun a year (I know a lot of people pay way more than this though)
Spaying/neutering - again depends, my vets is £45 for boys, £70 for girls
Also food and hay costs, although this will really depend on where your hay is from, bunny size, different pelleted foods so I'm not sure how to work this one out :?
Plus treats, toys, possible bunny boarding?

apart from a hutch money to buy lots of nice wood to build a run in the garden, wire mesh (about £25 a roll from B+Q-i bought 3 rolls for the run!)
wood preservative-large tin £10, flooring for run whether its slabs, bricks or even more wood!

things that are free-cardboard boxes to line hutch that i recycle from the work!

seed tray from any garden centre, depending on size £5-£10 for toilet area

wee extra things like padlocks, hinges for run door

bunny heat pads about £20 +

an indoor plastic hutch thing for when a bun's not well and you need to bring inside!

carrier case for trips to the vet!

source a good fruit shop that sells a good selection of veg (not too keen on supermarket veg sometimes) my local fruit shop sells off yesterday's parsley for 10p a bag :D

water bottles, food bowls

and a large container -garden variety to store all bunny goods and chattels-a bargain last year from homebase reduced from £99 to £75 and holds all hay, pellets, cardboard, sweeping brushes, disinfectant (£3), and cleaning rags and newspapers that get recycled for the bunnies!

hope this list helps!!

What a great idea, I definitley would have appreciated such a list!

Here's few of mine:

140x72x42cm indoor cage £59.99

All essentials (litter tray, small shelter for cage, initial bedding, toys, food etc) £80

Avergage monthly cost of food, consumables etc £40

Vet fees for vacs and a scratched eye within first 2 months :roll: £130

Oh no, I don't want to know!! Plus I'm sure they could live more cheaply than my bunnies do (and I've spent far more on vet bills than is the average, I'm sure).

I dont want to know. I am scared to see my vet account for the last 18 months let alone everything on top of that :shock:

Repair to chewed TV power cable - around £30-£40

Non-electrocuted but a bit shocked bunny - priceless ;)

Repair to chewed TV power cable - around £30-£40

Non-electrocuted but a bit shocked bunny - priceless ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is a really good and interesting list!

Prices for everything can range of course, some due to personal choice and some due to what people can get in their area etc. I buy a lage bale of hay cheaply but if you can't drive then you don't have a choice to mail order of buy small bags which of course costs many times the amount!

Perhaps once we would be able to make a final list into a sticky?? I'm sure it would be good for any prospective bunny parents?

forgot to add in my earlier post that you may need to consider spending some money on bunny proofing a garden........
one side of my garden has a slatted fence that had gaps big enough for bunnies to get through so as my garden is long and narrow this involved approx 3 rolls of chicken wire to put over fence........... about £20 a roll from B+Q!

for those that have indoor buns then the wire protection plastic will cost a few £! although i think shops like the pound shop sell this quite cheap!

and like others, i wouldn't want to count up everything i've spent on the buns.... must have spent a small fortune but they are absolutely worth it....

i have worked out we spend on average over the course of a year £2500 on 7 bunnies and 3 piggies if you allow for vet visits etc. a selection of these gobsmacking expenses are below :lol:

expensive hay for very fussy bunnies with spurs - £26 for a 4kg box :shock:

vet fees for retrobulbar abscess - £900 :shock:

bunny neuter (plus vetbed) - £40

replacement of brand new playstation cable (and chastisement of lola) - £10

visiting tesco at 6.30pm 3 times per week to buy tasty but cheap veg - £2.50 each time (and very happy bunnies too :) )

cardboard houses - £13 each

cat carrier - £9 from wilcos

brand new carpet with chewed corner in each room - havent even thought about it as i will probably pass out :lol:

herb seeds and trays and compost for summer long provisions - £5

science selective for the month - £5

comb for the lionheads - £1.50 bargain

if i think of any more i'll be back

Back