• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet Costs

XMissySJx

Wise Old Thumper
Hi everyone....i have four buns, peanut butter and jelly, both un-fixed, although peanut is being fixed on the 14th, and jelly two weeks after. they are both 1 year old. domino and pebbles are under a year, both fixed and living together. peanut and jelly will live together too once they are recovered etc.

anyway...while i was int he vets i saw pet insurance. and i reeeeally cnt decide. it would cost me £45 a MONTH because i have four, and even if something goes wrong, the excess is £60. so what i have decided to do, is start a vet fund instead, so i can have enough money in my bank @ all times to pay for their treatment as and when.

i would just like to know how much (roughly) certain things have cost people on here...just wondering really.

If you bun has myxi, although has been vaccinated....how much does that cost to treat?

Broken leg?

Stasis and bloat?

anything else you can think of. im going to save as much asi can and i already have £150 in the fund, but its hard when you dont know how much these things would be! thanks

Well the emergengy appointment I had last night for bloat cost £116.96. That was appointment call out fee and meds.

Hey MissySJ, which insurance provider is that with?

Sounds like a lot to me, I pay £27 for 3 bunnies with PetPlan, first bunny is about £10 then each bunny after that is roughly £8 so would make your 4 about £35 (may depend on where you live).

I haven't had to use my insurance for the rabbits (touch wood) but I was very glad of the insurance on our dog when he became ill and saving each month wouldn't have covered him. :shock:

Thats ****!

Shame it costs so much :shock:

I couldn't believe the emergency call out rate, costs about £85 before they even see the rabbit!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

When my boy had stasis it cost just under £70 for gut stimulant, painkiller, subcut fluids, liquid parafin, tummy rubs :p vet time, extra meds for me to give him and a check up the next morning. This was during normal surgery hours though. Seeing as he has now had this, I don't really think it is worth insuring him, especially as a lot of policies don't cover teeth problems. I will also be starting up an emergency bunny fund!

On sat night the vet came to the nursery at night to look at pringle gave him an injection and me med to bring home, he then went back on monday when they were open for a check up and another injection and more meds and it only came to £54 :? ... it was £34 for call out.
Pringle is normally based around £60ish for bloat and same for teeth x

I like to keep a 'float' of £1000 ish since Maa's emergency eye surgery (2 operations and various vet trips) came to over £550 - I've never had insurance as I think when you have more than 2 rabbits, the instalments and the excess make it pointless. If I'd had a crystal ball I'd have insured Maa, but as she was in a group of 5 I didn't insure any of them :roll:

I was looking into Petplan but they said that their excess was £50. So far, despite having paid out well over £200 in vet fees for Charlie (through being ill, not including vaccinations or neutering) the most I paid in one visit was about £25 - do they let you bulk your claims together or do you have to claim individually. If it's individually, I wouldn't have been able to claim a penny! :cry:

SJ if your vet uses Vets Now in Witham as the emergency clinic then it's £104 for an out of hours consultation plus any treatment etc needed. You can easily be looking at a couple of hundred quid for an illness, several hundred for something requiring hospitalisation/surgery like a broken bone or other serious problem.

With 7 rabbits and 2 dogs I've got a vet fund as insurance would cost me around £130 per month.
The last 2 big bills I had were for my dogs - Elsa (who was 12) had glaucoma and ended up having her eye taken out. Unfortunatley she had a stroke 3 weeks later and we lost her. Her treatment was around £650.
A few months ago Sally had to have a dental and that was £180.
Thankfully, I haven't had anything recently on the rabbits, but the cost of treatment is around the same to treat a hamster as it is to treat a dog (e.g eye infection on hammie - £47) so I just brace myself everytime I go to the vets :lol: :lol:
Oh, and I never tell O/H the full amount of what it cost :lol:

I looked into insurance earlier this year and decided with the excess aof £50 then it would probably not be worth it and anything to do with teeth was not covered. Bills I have had for one of my buns since Christmas:

Christmas Day - £160 - included consultation, Xray, GA for bladder to be flushed out. This was at an "emergency hospital" - not sure where you live but could let you know details. Follow ups were not charged for.

March (ish) - £80 - emergency appt at the hospital again and about £3 for drugs. This was for colic. Had to take bunny to normal vet following day which cost approx another £60-70 as he was kept infor the day and given fluids and probiotics etc to get him moving.

4 weeks ago - Teeth filed under GA - £45

Last week - admitted again for teeth as he still had difficulty chewing - I insisted on X-rays (2) - £105 including Baytril for 7 days and Metacam.

He will also now have to go in every 4 weeks to have his teeth done. I am guessing approx £20-£30 as they say they can do it without GA.

On the other hand, my other bunny has only had her jabs during the last year .

Myxi approx £18 (every 6 months)
VHD approx £14.

Based on this I would guess about £1,000 a year - but I will also say that the bun who has never been away from the vet during the last year is 4 1/2 and has never been before luckily except for jabs.

i have a credit card which i only use on Vet bills i have a £1000 credit limit on it so i dont have to worry about vet bills. i also have about £500 in a savings account which il only use in emergancies so i pretty much have myself covered.

i also have quite a well payed job now which is great :D

If you bun has myxi, although has been vaccinated....how much does that cost to treat?

It cost me £550 to treat Magic & Poppy for 3 weeks and Smokey for two weeks

Plus £250 to have Spookie and Minstrel PTS and cremated individually when they caught it

Silver cost me £150 in diagnosis and treatment only to loose her anyway

Broken leg (unaligned): £150 Xrays, painkillers, anti-biotics and aneasthetic.
£150 Operation and aneasthetic Total: £300

Bloat (on a Saturday): Consultation, antibiotics, metacam, Emequell £45
Second Consult, Emequell and SubCuts £35 Total: £80

Dental: Molar spur removal, aneasthetic, painkillers and Bio-Lapis £60

Urine Tests: Consultation, in-house urine sample and analysis £40

Cant think of any other currently.

i have pet insurance for Alvin and ralph.... my cat woke one day and was very very ill.... he was kept in for three days trying to get him to eat before his operation to see what was up...... it was bad and was put to sleep without ever waking up :cry: because i was insured the vet sent a biopsy to be tested... total cost was almost £700 i only paid the excess and the injection to put him down.... and also found out what was the cause.... if hed of survived it could have ran into the 1000's insurance is definatley worth it for the big problems as im rubbish at saving and my cerdit cards have somehow reached their limits...lol

AlisonA: i dont know who they use, i assumed it was themselves? although they are half hour away from me, but my cousin is a vet so i phone her in emergencies for advice awell which heloped:)

Crystal Butterfly: Thats a good idea about the credit card, i might do that! Also you got a new job?yay! what is it :)

the insurance isnt worth it, if there was no excess ..maybe, i think im going to have a vet fund, and an emergency credit card :)

Back