• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

EEK! I'm a bonding virgin!

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
So, last night, me & O/H travelled to a place just outside Barnsley and picked Bobby (Who, by the way, is the bunny from the "Name the bunny competition"!). He's a lovely little boy, so sweet and he loves cuddles!

So, this morning, we decided to start intoducing him to Nibbles. We had our neutral grounds in the hall way and they were both having a good sniff around the space. He didn't seem that interested in her really untill Nibbles started to put her head between his front feet, which we took as her saying "Groom me!!" and he did exactly that. He groomed her fuzzy mane. So, Nibbles keeps getting groomed by the lovely young Bobby so we decided to take them to the neutral ground outside. Things started to go well, untill Bobby stopped grooming Nibbles and she went for him! She wouldn't go for him inside so we were a bit shocked. Anyways, we calmed the bunnys down and tried again. A few minutes later, she started fighting again! So again, we seperated them and calmed em down and tried again. At this point, I had to leave to get a jacket and ring the vets for vacinations. When I came back outside, Nibbles was soaked (I have to add, we have a water squirter for bad behavior) and Bobby was a teensy bit wet too. I asked Martyn what happened, and he said they started fighting and growling and Bobby was sticking up for himself! EEK! Before it was just Nibbles being a grumpy bum but now Bobby's grumpy too! Anyways, they went back to normal in the run, and then Nibbles started to sniff Bobby's bum, and they started running around in circles and growling and chasing each other. EEK! What's happened?! They were so nice and peaceful at 10, and by 12.30 they hate each other! I don't know what to do!

The bum sniffing is quite normal and it may happen for a while yet :D It makes the one who is being sniffed either run off or get very angry, dont worry so long as there isnt any blood leave them to it :D

Is there not a rescue near by who can help bond for you? Sometimes rabbits can sense that the owner is stressed and nervous and it rubs off on their behaviour :(

Yea, but I don't really want to add to her plate. She's not been to well recently and had to give up rescuing for a little bit.
The rescue I got Bobby from said if it didn't work then I could bring Bobby & Nibbles to her and she'd try

Fur pulling is quite normal, if you hold your bunnies fur usually you can pull fur out without even trying it comes out very easily. :D

Well, I'm going to go and give it another go. Little Bobby has eaten so much grass he needs to work it off, so a chase from Nibbles might do him some good :p

I'm in the same pickle!
My Rabbits were getting on great for a whole week and a half and all of a sudden my boy who i had first has flipped out and keeps attacking the girl!
I don't know whats made this happen as they were getting on so well!

I'm not really sure what could have caused it :? Maybe you could try housing them next to each other for a while and let them get used to one another like that before trying and bonding them in a few weeks?

They will keep fighting though and each time you separate them when you try them again it will start all over again.

I know it is very scary though and I do sympathise - I am off bonding at the weekend for the umpteenth time and Tree is helping me as I do not have the courage to do it on my own as the bunnies involved are so feisty!

I hope things calm down - if not I would take them somewhere like a friends house to try bonding :)

Mine are currently in runs next to each other so they can get used to each other's scent. On friday, O/H is buying a new hutch for them anyways, so the bonding has been put off until we get the new hutch

Back