• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Help Needed!

Franny_cky

Young Bun
I adopted a girl rabbit about a week and a half ago for my boy rabbit Ringo. I've been bonding them and everything was going swimmingly, The lady at the rescue centre said to put them in the same box on the way home in the car as they were getting on so well!

They were always happy snuggling up and grooming each other on neutral territory, had a few scufts at the beggining in Ringo's territory but after about a week they were getting on well for periods in his territory as well.

All of a sudden Ringo seems to have lost the plot and keeps starting fights! :? Even on Neutral territory! It seems like such a step back i was wondering if anyone knows what could have caused this / any tips on what to do now!

any help is much appriciated as the pair were doing so well before!

Are they both neutered and has 'his' equiptment been throroughly cleaned of his scent? Do you have anyother rabbits at all?

Sorry missed that out! :oops:

Yes both are neutered and Ringo was done over 6months ago, i'm not sure when Rosie was as she had already been 'done' when i adopted her.

And it is just those two, Ringo was on his own as a house rabbit and we thought that he might get lonley on his own. I have cats but they obviously don't go where the Bunnys do!

Has Ringo ever had any claim over the area you are using to bond, and what area is it?

I believe it's best to leave them in neutral territory for a few days and nights, not splitting them up unless they fight - usually means not much sleep for you and days off work though. Use the time to thoroughly deodorise, redecorate and clean the area and toys etc where Ringo normally lives, and if all is well after a few days, put them both in the area they will share.

Continually moving them from area to area, or splitting them up overnight, often results in fighting as they never get bonded.

Thanks for your advice.

We started by bonding them in the bathroom and the car where Ringo had never been and after about a week of them getting on great tried the living room where Ringo had been only occasionly, and they were fine there also! When we tried them in Ringo's territory for breif periods they were fine for a couple of days and now Ringo's just gone mad. Even trying to attack her in the bathroom.

I guess i'm going to have to go right back to basics but what could have caused this? I think i'm going to start with a car ride tonight.

I had been seperating them at night because i was worried they would fight, if moving them about too much is effecting them i guess i'll be setting up camp in the neutral area tonight! :lol:

Back