• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed please

GregTheBunny

Warren Scout
I recently bought a 12 weeks old male lionhead rabbit from a local petshop and now want him to have a conpanion, but there seems to be so much conflicting advice. I would like a rescue bunny but should it be male or female? what age?

I would also like advice as to hutch, i bought a small 3ft hutch with him and a 5ft run from pets at home (£50 OMG) but am now thinking of buying either

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOUBLE-RABBIT...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-X-3-X-4-DEL...tcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please give me some advice

A male should be bonded with a speyed female rabbit.

They will need a hutch at least 5 X 2 X 2 ft but preferably 6 X 2 X 2 ft with a run around 5/6 X 3 ft.

3ft is too small a hutch for ANY rabbit if it is being used for anything more than a shelter i.e bunny get shut inside at any time.

Also i would have your male neutered before looking for a companion.

sorry, just reading again, should i have a speyed female or a neutered male? or both? and what ages are best to do it with?

Im sorry to tell you this but he will grow out of it VERY fast.

It depends on the vet but most neuter at around 5 months....some will operate at 4 months if his testicals have both dropped.

those hutches are quite small, especially if you want to get two rabbits.

as above, neutering is a must if having two rabbits

sorry, just reading again, should i have a speyed female or a neutered male? or both? and what ages are best to do it with?

Your male should be neutered and bonded with a speyed female. Age is not a huge issue but I would aim for not older than 2 years than your rabbit as otherwise he may get through a few partners in his lifetime.

ok so, 6ft x 2ft hutch and at least 6ft x 4ft run if having 2. What order do i do this in then? do i wait until he is old enough to be neutered befor efinding him a companion?

Yes otherwise he will give her a hard time as he hits puberty....especially if he is a 'young bloomer' and cannot be neutered for a while! Does often snap back when they are harassed by horny young bucks and it can lead to irreparable bond damage.

thats great thanks, have had so many conflicting stories that i didnt know what to do, seemed that most of the advice was saying get at the same time so they grow up together, then was told get another male. He just doesnt look happy and i want him to be. Will set about finding a home big enough now

Try the happy hutch company.

Call your vets and ask at what age hey will neuter bucks.....he is ready when his testicals have dropped and you should be able to see those developed ( if he is indeed a boy, pet shops seem to have a hard time sexing correctly).

A male should be bonded with a speyed female rabbit.

They will need a hutch at least 5 X 2 X 2 ft but preferably 6 X 2 X 2 ft with a run around 5/6 X 3 ft.

3ft is too small a hutch for ANY rabbit if it is being used for anything more than a shelter i.e bunny get shut inside at any time.

Also i would have your male neutered before looking for a companion.

Good advice :)

Actually does anybody know of any good hutch manufactureres or have any recommendations?

this is the best hutch for the money, if you do a search for 'massive hutch' on ebay they are continually selling it - it's tongue and groove rather than what the photo shows - and costs more on their website! Self assembly though. The ones on your link are no good as the hutches are too tiny, even the one with 2 over a run :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Massive-Rabbi...ryZ63513QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My baby boy is booked in on the 1st October to have his......off. :oops:

He'll be 5 1/2 months then, if you take him in for a check up (Dusty was checked when he had his jabs) the vets will tell you if he's ready. :D

I wouldn't advise getting a girlie till he's done and his hormones are settled as Dusty gets really worked up when my girls are near and he tries to hump them like mad (which they aren't keen on) if I let him free with them! :lol:

I was planning on getting those at the same time as neutering, would that be right?

You can't have them all done at the same time unfortunately as not good for the buns. I had my VHD done then 2 weeks later his Myxi then a few weeks later the chop. Call the vt he will advise on what best to do. Mine told me how mine was going to be done, and was booked in fo rme. my vets are cool!

thats great thanks, have had so many conflicting stories that i didnt know what to do, seemed that most of the advice was saying get at the same time so they grow up together, then was told get another male. He just doesnt look happy and i want him to be. Will set about finding a home big enough now

Greg, I'm an SM for PAH and I'd be interested to know which store was prepared to sell you ANY rabbit in to a 3' hutch. That is totally unacceptable. Can you PM me with the store and also who served you? It's not about getting anyone in to trouble. It's about doing what's best for the rabbit.

If you're not happy doing this, then may I recommend going back to the store and having a chat with the manager. I would expect to be able to return the hutch for a refund.

Back