• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT HELP!! GI Stasis

cshippard

Young Bun
Hi I am hoping someone can help me. My Bun stopped eating and within 12 hours I went to the vets and he informed me that he has Bloat. He has the run of the garden and we believe he has eaten too much grass. He gave him a dose of pain killer and told me to take him home. I am taking poor Peter back today but he is very uncomfortable. He has lots of hay and I have popped him in his house so he cannot eat grass but he is only drinking water and has not eaten for 24 hours.

Can anyone help? What can i do to help him?
thanks
Catherine

did your vet give your rabbit a gut stimulant injection such as Emequell or Metchlopromide? Is he pooing at all?

Oh dear poor Bun :cry:

Has he poo'd at all? Did the Vet say his stomach (positioned in the upper abdomen) is distended? If so he may need to have the gas removed from his stomach by the Vet passing a tube down Buns throat into his stomach.

If he is not bloated but in GI stasis then the Vet would probably administer a gut motility stimulating med (Metoclopromide) as long as Vet is confident that there is no obstruction.

Infacol (Simethicone) can be given orally. This is a liquid given to human babies that get colic and it breaks up the gas in the stomach. Infacol can be obtained from the Babycare Section of most Supermarkets.

If your Bun is in pain he will need additional help to keep warm. A Bun in pain cant maintain their body temperature and can go into shock. So you would need to provide him with some form of heatpad like a snugglesafe or a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel.

He will need more meds today so I would contact the Vet again if your Bun is not improving. You could obtain some Fibreplex from the Vet. This is a pro/prebiotic and fibre paste that is given orally to help Bun's GI function

Syringe feeding an Anorexic Bun is necessary *but* if the Bun has a distended stomach full of gas syringe feeding should NOT be attempted until the gas has dispersed or been removed via a gastric tube.

I hope your Bun will feel better soon

Janex

My vet considers not eating for 24 hours as an emergency, can you just take him in now without an appointment?

Hope your bun will feel better soon :( .... i would take your bun back to the vet to say what they say and get some infacol which should help xx

I got the vet to give him some metchloprovide and so far it looks really promising. He also had pain relief but he just actually ate some hay! This is the first time he has eaten for 36 hours! I know its early but he seems a lot better. I also got some Infacol, pro biotic and critical care too so fingers crossed.

I will keep you posted.
Catherine

and he has just had a poo- now its running and he is trying for more but fingers crossed. Much better than he was last night.

Will he need another dose of metoclopromide tomorrow? Do you normally continue with this medication of is a one off dose normal?

Thanks Peter and Catherine

and he has just had a poo- now its running and he is trying for more but fingers crossed. Much better than he was last night.

Will he need another dose of metoclopromide tomorrow? Do you normally continue with this medication of is a one off dose normal?

Thanks Peter and Catherine

As long as he is now pooing and has started to eat, more Metoclopromide is not necessary
I would encourage him to eat as much hay as possible. You could offer him a few small Dandelion Leaves which are a 'natural' laxative. Exercise will also help his gut motility. You could add a probiotic like Avipro-C to his drinking water for a few days too.

Janex :)

if he has gi stasis , then try and get him to move about alot, and massage his tummy!! charly had it and hes beter now!

Back