• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

new treatment for snuffles

Raven Rexs

Mama Doe
i have tried and tested this and it has worked so i thought id share it since there is alot of snuffles about this is very easy and cheap to get hold of
ECHINAEA AND GOLDEN ROOT from holland and barrett i give 1ml in the mouth and 2ml in the bottle of water and it seems to work heres some info on it
Golden Seal is a root that is native to North America and has been used for centuries in herbal medicine. Golden Seal contains calcium, iron, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, B-complex, and other nutrients and minerals. Considered to be a broad-spectrum herb, Golden Seal is extremely popular and very much in demand.

Golden Seal's numerous uses are attributed to its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. It soothes irritated mucus membranes aiding the eyes, ears, nose and throat. Taken at the first signs of respiratory problems, colds or flu, Golden Seal may help prevent further symptoms from developing. It may be used to help reduce fevers, and relive congestion and excess mucous.

Golden Seal cleanses and promotes healthy glandular functions by increasing bile flow and digestive enzymes, therefore, regulating healthy liver and spleen functions. It also eases inflamed peptic ulcers, aids digestion and relieves constipation. Golden Seal may be used to treat infections of the bladder and intestines as well

Echinacea-Whether or not echinacea helps prevent or treat the common cold remains under debate. Some studies have shown that the herb can make you feel better faster; others suggest that echinacea has no impact on a cold at all. Several trials have shown that people who take echinacea as soon as they feel sick reduce the severity of their cold and have fewer symptoms than those who do not take the herb. One study of 95 people with early symptoms of cold and flu (such as runny nose, scratchy throat, and fever), found that those who drank several cups of echinacea tea every day for 5 days felt better sooner than those who drank tea without echinacea.

Hope this helps:D :D :wave:

Echinacae boosts the immune system :) It's often used with rats as they're prone to respiratory infections

Oh - i might have to try that on Tuesday - he gets sneezes occasionally (usually after he's stuck his head right in the hay basket :roll: ) but not enough to go fully out on septrin.

sorry, got to ask the question raven rex's:oops: :lol: but if you have tried and tested these items, does this mean that you are breeding rabbits that have snuffles?

A word of precaution...

Although herbal products can be/are effective, it's not always a replacement for veterinary treatment.

Echinacea has to be administered carefully, I believe it can't be given on a long-term basis and needs to be given with 'breaks' ie. give for 5 days and stop for two, although not absolutely certain :? This was the advice I was given when treating one of my rabbits a long time ago.

Before self-treating rabbits with herbs, it would be advisable to seek further information from an experienced herbalist.

Echinacea has to be administered carefully, I believe it can't be given on a long-term basis and needs to be given with 'breaks' ie. give for 5 days and stop for two, although not absolutely certain :? This was the advice I was given when treating one of my rabbits a long time ago.

I was given the link to an article (don't have access to my bookmarks at work though) a while ago that dispelled this - the lady who looked it up runs her own online animal shop with homemade treats etc so puts a lot of research into what she sells, and one of the dry feeds she sells contains echinacae so she put quite a bit of effort into finding out whether it was "safe"/beneficial to be feeding the food as it would provide daily amounts of echinacae rather than on the on/off method that was being advised for supplementing it in the water.
I do agree with researching though, and make sure to tell your vet as some herbal remedies can interfere with medication - e.g. St Johns Wort interferes with birth control. Very unlikely to affect your pets :lol: but goes to show that strange interactions can happen where you wouldn't think of it!

of course! they were in a completly different shed to mine and also i use to change my clothes before going into mine plus i bathed in dettol as well just to make sure i know how dangerous it is :?
theyve been rehomed now anyway.

i flipping stunk of it i dont even think the rabbits cared for it much had to put it in with my washing aswell just to make sure so you can imagine the potency of it:lol:

dosage

i have tried and tested this and it has worked so i thought id share it since there is alot of snuffles about this is very easy and cheap to get hold of
ECHINAEA AND GOLDEN ROOT from holland and barrett i give 1ml in the mouth and 2ml in the bottle of water and it seems to work heres some info on it
Golden Seal is a root that is native to North America and has been used for centuries in herbal medicine. Golden Seal contains calcium, iron, manganese, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, B-complex, and other nutrients and minerals. Considered to be a broad-spectrum herb, Golden Seal is extremely popular and very much in demand.

Golden Seal's numerous uses are attributed to its antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties. It soothes irritated mucus membranes aiding the eyes, ears, nose and throat. Taken at the first signs of respiratory problems, colds or flu, Golden Seal may help prevent further symptoms from developing. It may be used to help reduce fevers, and relive congestion and excess mucous.

Golden Seal cleanses and promotes healthy glandular functions by increasing bile flow and digestive enzymes, therefore, regulating healthy liver and spleen functions. It also eases inflamed peptic ulcers, aids digestion and relieves constipation. Golden Seal may be used to treat infections of the bladder and intestines as well

Echinacea-Whether or not echinacea helps prevent or treat the common cold remains under debate. Some studies have shown that the herb can make you feel better faster; others suggest that echinacea has no impact on a cold at all. Several trials have shown that people who take echinacea as soon as they feel sick reduce the severity of their cold and have fewer symptoms than those who do not take the herb. One study of 95 people with early symptoms of cold and flu (such as runny nose, scratchy throat, and fever), found that those who drank several cups of echinacea tea every day for 5 days felt better sooner than those who drank tea without echinacea.

Hope this helps:D :D :wave:

you say you give 1ml and 2ml in the water, i assume from that you have a liquid form. what dosage would be given if in capsual form (each being 430gr)
any suggestions ??? anyone

You should ALWAYS take your rabbit to the vet FIRST, before administering any treatment, to confirm a diagnosis and to discuss conventional and non-conventional medication. I have used many herbal and homeopathic remedies in the past, alone and in conjunction with prescribed treatment, but not before consulting my vet and a practitioner in whichever treatment I use.

Back