• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxi

bluelop

Warren Scout
My french lop has just been diagnosed with myxi, despite having 6 monthly vaccinations. I am naturally heart broken and wondered what your experiences are for getting them through this illnesss? He has been put on baytril and Tiacil eye drops. He is still eating well although his poor eyes look rotten and he has a couple of spots in his ear. Could you tell me anyone whose rabbit got it, although vaccinated, if they got through it. Feel so worried as he is my beautiful boy. Pam

I'm so sorry to hear that your rabbit has Mxyi, although I'd think with him being vaccinated he stands a better chance of recovery.

I think Capel had a rabbit with Mxyi, although I don't think it was the full-blown strain. I'm pretty sure she is now fully recovered.

Lots of healing vibes

FC

PS- Optrex eyewash is very soothing for poorly eyes.

Thanks Fc for your quick reply. Really hoping his does not get too bad. Couldn't bear to see him really ill. Usually so big and lively lolloping down the garden. He gets my long skirt gently in his teeth and tries to run round the garden with it, with me in tow.lol. Supposed to be going to Cornwall on thursday for 6 days but have cancelled it now as could not leave him. Pam

sorry to hear your bun has this awful disease. i have no experience of this but i hope your bun pulls through! hopefully as he has been vacinated this will aid in minimising the illness.

From what I've read on here and other places vaccinated buns can still get myxi, as the vaccine is made from a similar pathogen, not the myxi pathogen, they just don't get it so bad and are more likely to recover.

Sorry to hear about your bun, hope he gets better. I thought they could not get it if they had myxi (mine go every 6 months too). Fingers crossed he will be OK.

The vet said they can still get it but usually not as bad. Just been down the shed stroking him and he has had a nice drink so pleased he had also eaten all his greens,apple and brown bread. Just hope my other 5 rabbits don't get it. All vaccinated except one is due for booster so have brought him in the house and he will go tomorrow for it. Would bring Chester indoors but think he will be happier in shed. He has 8ft hutch and run of the shed which he loves.Pam

Hi Pam. Some vaccinated buns can get a form of myxi called Nodular myxi which shows up with weepy eyes and little nodules on the lips, nose, ears and eventually, as in Floss's case, all over the place! Fortunately she never got it on her genitals. She made a full recovery apart from a slight impairment of the vision in her right eye which was caused by one of the nodules which lead to ulceration. I wonder if your vet means that she has Nodular myxi as the treatment he has given is exactly the same as Floss had...Tiacil and Baytril although she had another antibiotic as well for the first 5 days. All through it her appetite was unchanged although she was slightly more subdued than usual(she's a typical skittish Rex). The vet said it was important to keep her out of stressful situations , so I think you are wise to have cancelled your holiday for now. Please keep us updated. Sending anti-myxi vibes your way!

If you read the above threads it's recommended myxi buns are kept extra warm, so he needs to be in the house ideally. Steam baths in the bathroom were very helpful too. I'm not sure which antibiotics they used either - it takes some ploughing through but it's all there somewhere in those 2 threads :)

So hoping Chester gets better soon.

Sending lots of vibes for him, you and you other buns.

We have wild rabbits in our garden, so am forever peering at them with the binoculars to check they are OK.

Best wishes
Vanessa

I am SO sorry to hear your poor bun has this horrid disease. Its not nice at all, and im sure if you dedicate a lot of time and care into him he may well pull through, good luck and sending lots of vibes xx

Hi Capel, thanks for your helpful reply. How long did it take before your bun was better? Did you have any more rabbits at the time? If so were they ok?Pam

Hi Pam. Yes, she was bonded with Bournville, but the vet advised me NOT to seperate them as it was important to eliminate stress(seperation would have upset her) and as they are outdoor buns he helped by snuggling up and keeping her warm. I'm not sure how long she was treated but i do remember one weekend when the nodules seemed to pop up in front of our eyes...a bit like a child with chicken pox really..you could almost see them developing! I'll go on to the other forum toorrow and have a trawl through my posts there to see if I can find the time scale. I feel awful..should be able to remember that but she'd just got over ringworm and I'm not sure whether I might confuse the times with that. Off the top of my head I think That most of the lumps had appeared during the first week and the lesions had healed within a week-10 days, but I'll try to get that checked out.

Thanks so much. Just nice to know what to expect, although I know each case is different. He has got them around his eyes a few inside is ears and bumpy bits over his body and legs. His is still eating well and has been taking his anti biotics with his brown bread. Just worried he will suddenly get worse and stop eating. Really missing him not following me around the garden, but don't want him to use up too much energy. I have five other rabbits, who are also vaccinated so am hoping they will escape this rotten disease. Thanks for your reply. Pam

Sorry to hear about your bun. I had two vaccinated bunnies who had myxi last October. Unfortunately one didn't make it, but Millie is absolutely fine now apart from a small bald patch above her eye. She had one enormous swelling above her eye which developed a very thick scab which took several weeks to come away - I must admit I was worried about what it would be like underneath, but it has left a very neat scar above her eyelid. We treated her eye with fuciderm ointment. She had several small spots on her nose and body and these healed within about 3 weeks. She remained well throughout, perhaps a bit quieter than normal.
Jane

MY vet, whom I now have no faith in, states that there is never survival in myxi cases. I am heartened to see that this has been proved wrong. I am now sick that mine were pts? I was told I could keep them going for up to 3 weeks but it would be cruel as they would be suffering tremendously and would eventually pass. I am changing vets.

Catswhiskas.Very few rabbits survive fullblown myxi, and to be honest, I'm not sure that that I'd have tried to keep her going had it been full blown myxi Floss had, so don't feel terrible. You let her go gently on the advice of your vet.

I can't believe hiw uninformed i have been. I thought there was a cure and i didn't realise that it could happen so fast.

Back