• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible bunny syphillis - so upset.

Vanessa.B

Mama Doe
Our gorgeous fluffster may have syphills.

He has some small lumps on his upper lip which a vet thought was a bite from Barney. After removing the 'scabs' they have come back and our regular vet is thinking syphillis tho there are no lesions on his rear end yet. Herbie is on norodine for a week but there is talk of a penicillin jab and also the chance of Barnie catching it. Herb is the right age for it to show itself apparently. Poor Herb also seems to have a blocked tear duct so all in all things aren't great for him.

He is such a sweetie.We are really worried for him:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: . I couldn't find any threads really about syphillis apart from a link to some distressing pictures. Can anybody out there help us or reassure, Louise and I have just had a weep.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Awwwww try not to worry. Easier said than done I know.
I have had a Bun with Treponamatosis (Rabbit Syphillis) and he responded very well to a treatment of one injection of DEPOCILLIN once a week for 3 weeks. The Bun remained with his brother and did not pass on the infection.
Transmition usually occurs during mating or at birth from the Doe to kits

Janex

Thanks Jane.

I have been sat waiting for someone to reply cos we are so worried!!! Is Depocillin a form of penicillin? Should Barney have this too?

Vanessa.

Thanks Jane.

I have been sat waiting for someone to reply cos we are so worried!!! Is Depocillin a form of penicillin? Should Barney have this too?

Vanessa.

Depocillin is a Penicillin. It must be given by injection ONLY.
If the Norodine (another Antibiotic and one considered to be 'lower risk' than Penicillin for Rabbits) does not bring about improvement then you could mention Depocillin to your Vet.
Your Vet may be concerned about prescribing a Penicillin abx for a Bun. This is because there is a risk of gut dysbiosis whereby the 'bad' gut bacteria over produce due to the Penicillin. This would cause enteritis (diarrhoea) which can become very serious.
HOWEVER, the use of a med' called QUESTRAN can help prevent the absorption of the 'bad' gut bacteria

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/questran.html

One Depocillin injection a week is a very low dose so the risk of gut dysbiosis is not as great as it would be if the Depocillin were to be injected daily.

The Bun I had with Treponamatosis had no problem at all with the Depocillin

Janex

Rabbit syphillis isn't quite as alarming as it sounds, fortunately, and those photos you have seen will be extreme cases which have been left untreated. As Jane has said, usual treatment is a 3 week course of penicillin injections (it is highly contagious so all rabbits in contact with that bun will need to be treated) and this should solve it for you. Sometimes it can take a bit longer but I've known a few cases where that has sorted it out completely.

Thanks for the words of reassurance, they are much appreciated. :)

The buns only arrived in May and we seem to have been on a rollercoaster ride of worry with them. Certainly a steep learning curve :roll:

I wonder if we have just been unlucky or I hate to say it whether we were 'had' :(

Either way the bunsters are part of the family and we will do our best for them.

I have no experience of this kind of thing, but I hope the bunnies are ok.

I saw these buns on Monday and they are soooooooooooooo cute. Try not to worry to much Vanessa they will be fine as they are very healthy in every other way and have the right diet and a very loving home. You know where I am if you just need to chat.

One of mine developed syphillis shortly after I got her. Assume it was passed from her mom at birth. She had worty type growths around her mouth and nose.

She had the lesions removed and sent off to the lab and they confirmed it was syphillis.

After a course of penicillin they never reappeared and that was 2 years ago.

It is very easily treatable so try not to worry too much!

Back