• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DIY rabbit toys??

LittleBunniesRock

Warren Scout
As you might read from my thread in rabbit care Rex is suffering as a result of Little bunny over-grooming him. Anyway, was told getting her stimulated a bit more might stop her from yanking his fur out. She doesn't seem to be that excited about toilet paper tubes (i've tried, and stuffed with hay), so was wondering if anyone had any good toys they had made?! Gave them a "fives" box (those cheap crisps- the box has a perfect sized hole in it for Nethies to get in!)I found around the house, but the box soon had about 3 holes they could squeeze through lol. Didn't want them to eat so much cardboard, so I took it out. Might put it back in, but should hunt around for another fives box as it may have lost the novelty :lol: . Any ideas? (pics if you have them, but don't trouble yourself!).

Layout (in case you are wondering)
cement floor on run (indoors), with ramp leading up to hutch. 2 sheets spread about on the floor, which little bunny loves to hop on :lol: , a small platform (3" tall maybe?) with a blanket on it in the run, and loads of hay piled up in the hutch and by the platform.

I give MacGyver a "sack lunch". I stuff timothy hay and little treats in a paper lunch sack and tie it closed with a piece of hay. He rips the bag apart and munches on the hay.

He also has ping pong balls, hard ferret toys and hard cat toys with bells. I hung some bird toys on the side of his pen and he jingles them often. I've heard of people giving their buns old phone books to tear apart. He likes old cardboard boxes that the guy at the local store saves for me.

I don't know what kind of set up you have, or how much room he has. Have you tried hiding little treats around for him to find? Maybe some more exercise time will help.

ingredients needed are:-

1 small chunk of Carrot or buns prefered favourite treat veg or fruit
long strands of thick course hay

making up method:-

constantly wrap long strands of hay around treat until you have a reasonable size ball, with last strand of hay, entwine it so that the end goes well into the ball so that it stays together. A bit like making a rubber band ball;)

If that fails to occupy and she is still insisting that her man is a dirty bunny then get her a playbunnygirl mag to take her mind off him:lol: :lol: or maybe she is just a couch potato bun who doesn't what to do hop aerobic's :lol: :lol:

hehehe nice suggestions Denny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will have to try the treat- ball idea...

They have a 5X6 run that they have 24/7 acess to... Also have a 5X1 hutch attached via a ramp... The hutch is usually filled with hay so they can go up there for a munch and sleep if they wish.

Just re-did their old box... will have to hunt around and find some more boxes they can destroy :lol:

Mine love an argos catalogue to dig and shred. Faline likes jingly things too, like the hanging parrot toys, or kabobs. Or you could make your own using a skirt hanger. You know the hangers with the bits that clip together? Grip some hay or fruit in them, works a treat, she loves to pull at things.

Back