• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

update on the "meat" bunnies at eastbourne OMG ....

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
on saturday when we rescued the "meat bunnies" gillian who organised it all gave the bunnies a health check before we took them home, the black and white doe that came to me had to be speyed asap because gillian could feel lumps in her uterus so today i had her speyed and i get a call from the vets to say she was pregnant :shock: :cry: the vet checked her this morning and said she could feel lumps aswell but they didnt feel like foetuses, i feel like the worst person on earth now :cry: :cry: we were told by the bloke on saturday there was no way any of the does were pregnant:shock: why werent we told the truth :evil: ive called her duchess i feel absolutely terrible now :cry: :cry:
have pm,d the 2 other rescues to tell them whats happened

Awww :( Well it certainly isn't your fault, and I'm sure the mummy rabbit is oblivious to it all, so don't beat yourself up - the babies are at the bridge now and won't have suffered at all.

Oh NO, Hun!!!!! :cry: :cry: I would feel EXACTLY the same as you, I'm sure. But DON'T beat yourself up about it....there is no WAY that you could have known, especially as the man had said that there was no way any of them could have been pregnant. You were doing what was right for the poor girlie and that is all that you can ever do.

R.I.P., tiny wee bunnies. XXXXX:cry: :cry:

I know how you feel and until I had 7bunnies left with me I was undecided about how I felt about emergency spays but I saw the state of them and knew I had to book them in. Jet was pregnant when they spayed her and although I felt awful she didn't go through what Lakota went through (ie giving birth and losing her kits and then being spayed) and she is now a happy healthy bunny in a great new home and there aren't x number of baby bunnies adding to the already countless number of bunnies looking for their forever homes.

You made your decision with her best interests at heart and that's what is important.

And just to add the vet did a check over of Jet before she went in for her spay and said she wasn't pregnant - she was 2weeks gone - just goes to show how hard it is to tell sometimes.

Oh please don't feel bad. Theres no way you could have possibly known she was pregnant, especially as the vet didn't even know. You were doing everything you could to keep her healthy and as chloaster says, you only had her best interests at heart.

just want to echo what everyone has said, please do not beat yourself up over this
4.gif

Oh thats horrible, dont blame yourself though it wasnt your fault. poor wee girl, sending lots of hugs to you both xxxx

oh dear :( she's on the road to recovery now though... The vet obviously thought it was the right thing to do, so don't feel bad about it...

big hugs to you it doesnt feel nice does it:( well done though for helping to make her life so much better x x

I'm sure the stress of being pregnant and having babies, would be much worse and go on for far longer than being speyed. As awful as it sounds, at least you havent got to find homes for a lot more babies. You did the right thing and before you know it she and you will be feeling a lot better.

I'm sure she has had more than enough litters to last her a lifetime being a meat rabbit, you have done her a favour by spaying her, despite her being pregnant. Now she can simply concentrate on recovering and finding a new home quickly, rather than raising yet another litter and having to spend more time than she needs to in rescue:)

I probably sound like an awful person now but dont beat yourself up about it....I have knowingly had a does preganancy aborted and by God I would do it again too.

The last thing the world needs is more rabbits. :(

Back