• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is my cold dangerous to my rabbits?

lindka

Young Bun
I've got quite a bad cold at the moment and I was wondering whether it posed any problems to my rabbits? I remember that one of our hamsters died a few years back after catching my cold - human colds are potentially fatal to hamsters.

Wondering if it's okay to get close to the buns or delegate care to kids whilst I am in this snotty state!!

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure rabbits can't catch colds - guinea pigs and hamsters are the only two I can think of (and rats can get strep throught off humans, but not colds)

I've got quite a bad cold at the moment and I was wondering whether it posed any problems to my rabbits? I remember that one of our hamsters died a few years back after catching my cold - human colds are potentially fatal to hamsters.

Wondering if it's okay to get close to the buns or delegate care to kids whilst I am in this snotty state!!

Thanks.

Rabbits cant catch human colds :) They can, however, catch cold sores (caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus) So if you have a cold sore on your lip you cant kiss your Bunny!!

Hope you feel better soon

Janex :)

Aw, thanks for all the get well wishes - much appreciated - feel okay in myself just headache and runny nose and eye on left hand side :roll:

Anyway, glad to hear the buns probably won't suffer for it - though I'll have to make sure I don't get too furred up - they are moulting again - as the fur and dander makes me sneeze too.

Thanks again,

Back