• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing Dilemma...

… of the rabbit variety of course.

At the moment I have 2 hutch and run combinations, sat next to each other on the patio. Barley has a 6ft hut on top of a 6 x 6ft run, and Dolly has a 5ft hutch on top of a 6 x 5ft run. I attempted to bond them when I initially got Dolly but failed, so they live side by side.

I have a photo but it’s on my phone.

I was inspecting Barley hutch a the weekend and it seems the floor is getting quite worn out (partly by his recent inclination to chew it!). So I’m thinking it may be time to replace it!

I have a number of options and wondered if any of you could offer advice or had personal recommendations:

1 – I have a 6ft Happy Hutch & run combination in the garage – this has had only light use, I would have to do some work to it (the roof came off in the wind one day! – prob because I didn’t have the front latch done up on it – there was no rabbit living in it at the time). I would also have to extend the run, I thought Happy Hutch used to do run extensions for this but I can’t see it on their website anymore. This is the cheapest option!

2 – Get a 6 x 4 shed and attach my existing run to it. But unsure about sheds… not sure I could put one together, also don’t know if I could stand it straight on the patio or if I’d have to stand it on something else - out patio is not quite "level" lets say? Was looking at this one? http://www.elbecgardenbuildings.co....c=15&jssCart=1819363598e59eeb0b3d1860f0b6cf96 (don’t even know what Pressure Treated Base Bearers are!).

3 – Play house – similar idea to the shed really! This is one I found: http://www.elbectoykingdom.co.uk/pr...ec=4&jssCart=c43c096e5715b2699ad670eee82a7d9e (but I know nothing about the company!)

4 – Splash out on a dog kennel type thing – ideally what I would like, but I’m not sure the budget would stretch that far. Also I don’t think my parents would allow it (as I’m living at theirs at the moment – Mum will just say I have to think of the long term and what “how will it fit into the 1 bedroom flat you’ll have to rent when you move out”!!!)

5 – But a new hutch run combination, something like Re-hutches? Costed that at about £400!

Sorry I’ve written so much, but I’m getting rather confused! Also would be grateful if anyone has any personal recommendations or experiences with companies they would like to share?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this far.

Hannah

Happy hutch do still make the run extensions on request, they just aren't on the website any more.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of hutches on top of runs, my friend's vet says she has seen several cases of broken limbs or even broken backs from rabbits falling down them, especially when they get older and more frail.

Having said that, I do have one for use for fostering! If you can afford it, I'd suggest getting something like a shed/playhouse to use with the run. A playhouse should be fairly straightforward to put together, although it does need a relatively level base.

I have the double whopper hutch from rehutches - Ryedale and they made it 2ft high each level and depth for me. I bought the 6 x 5 connecting run for it too :) Its great but I do prefer my dog kennel run though, keep dry all the time in there :oops: :lol:

The Wenlock Aviary

Thanks Alison, I'm really am leaning towards the playhouse idea, just need to convince my parents!

Also I've been looking at this one... really would involve streaching the budget, and perhaps some mods like stable doors, and moving the hole from the top to the bottom (don't think the rabbits can quite manage that drop!!)

http://www.countrywidekennels.co.uk/products_category.asp?cat=30

I'm going to have to give it a good think...

I managed to get a wendyhouse (its a playhouse but bigger!) for £35 from either free ads or friday ads. They are both on the web. I would try these and also look out for anything going on ebay or free on freecycle. I was checking all of these on a daily basis until I found one!:oops:

reckon I got a bargain too!

Back