• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Respiratory problems

LurcherGirl

Mama Doe
I am asking for a friend here, who sent me the following email...

Had yellow discharge from nose and refused to move at all. very quiet and unhappy.
Diagnoised with Pneumonia by emergency vet on 17th August 2007
given antibotics for 10 days and 3 injections
Was told to keep her inside and warm for a few days. Slowly put back outside int he hutch during the day and evetually at night again. on the second night after being out, in the morning she had a white discharge from her nose again and laboured noisy breathing.

Taken back to vet again on 28th august given a different kind of antibotics but told lungs were clear but slight infection in her sinuses. Different antibotics given for another 10 days to overlap with old ones. told to keep her inside again for a few days and to put a tissue in her box with a few drops of olbus oil on it overnight.

was put back outside again, quiet happy back to her normal self running round the garden, left out in hutch over night and again on the third night on in the morning has a white discharge again from her nose and sneezing alot this morning but still seems quiet perky but is very cuddly.

I am thinking pasteurella, possibly e-cuniculi or in the worst case even myxomatosis? I haven't seen the rabbit myself, so it's a bit harder to diagnose... and we all know that we can't always rely on vets for it either!

So, what do you think going by these symptoms?

Vera

I'm no expert but it sounds like Pasteurella or at least some kind of snuffles.

Definitely not EC.

And I would think that most vets would know the signs of Myxi...wouldn't there be swelling/nodules?

Amy

Back