• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice required re moving bunny outside

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
hi everyone

sorry to go on about this subject :oops: but I'm fretting about what I should do for the best.

I have wild bunny Spudsey who is about 5 months old, she has been living as a house bun and has never been outside.

I am adopting a new male bunny but he is not yet neutered. He is booked in at the vets a week tomorrow. Now I have heard various things about how long I should wait after the male is neutered before putting him with an unspayed rabbit which range from 3 weeks to 8! I had thought best to wait the whole 8 wks but my vets say 3 as well!?

I am unable to get Spudsey spayed as she is still tiny. I don't want to move her outside on her own as she is a fragile little thing and I think she would be terrified on her own after living inside so long. Ok maybe I'm over protective :oops:

But the longer she stays inside apart from Squirrel (new bun :) ) the later its going to be in the year probably about november time when its going to be much colder.

I have contacted the lady who has new bun to see if I could pick him up earlier and get him neutered my end as he can't be done for over a week. I know its only a week but.....

any suggestions!?

If she's anything like Scamp she'll be fine outside. He broke out again yesterday :roll:

The fertile issue is very confusing. It's been a good few years since I been in the position but my vet always said two weeks! I don't know what the answer is :?

Could you maybe put her in a run outside to get used to the noises/smells? Or put a temporary divider in the new accommodation?

You can get greenhouse heaters which keep them temp up a bit.

Tam

Zakura was an indoor bun at first, but I moved her out the first summer, then back in, then back out next summer and now she's been out the whole winter.
She coped just fine:D Also Sasuke's always been an outdoor rabbit since I first got him, but now he lives inside as he switched places with Aroma who's been indoors all summer (because I only have 2 outdoor cages that aren't broken:roll: ) But now Sasuke lives inside because of his sore feet. (which have now healed up, but I see no reason to switch him and Aroma back just yet, for an un-neutered male he's suprisingly clean:shock: )

If she's anything like Scamp she'll be fine outside. He broke out again yesterday :roll:

The fertile issue is very confusing. It's been a good few years since I been in the position but my vet always said two weeks! I don't know what the answer is :?

Could you maybe put her in a run outside to get used to the noises/smells? Or put a temporary divider in the new accommodation?

You can get greenhouse heaters which keep them temp up a bit.

Tam

Hi Tamsin!

Thanks for replying to my message! :) I do like to fret! :oops:

How long has scamp been outside for? Is he out permanently or just now and again? And is he still friendly with you? I'm worried she'll withdraw into herself and become a very scared little bun :cry:

I haven't got another run at the moment but could get something and try her outside, and putting a temporary divider into the wendyhouse is the only other thing I thought of, not sure how I'll do it but its probably one of the best ideas!

Zakura was an indoor bun at first, but I moved her out the first summer, then back in, then back out next summer and now she's been out the whole winter.
She coped just fine:D Also Sasuke's always been an outdoor rabbit since I first got him, but now he lives inside as he switched places with Aroma who's been indoors all summer (because I only have 2 outdoor cages that aren't broken:roll: ) But now Sasuke lives inside because of his sore feet. (which have now healed up, but I see no reason to switch him and Aroma back just yet, for an un-neutered male he's suprisingly clean:shock: )

I'd love to have Spudsey as a permanant indoor bun :D but our house is tiny plus shes already eaten her way round our lounge:lol:

Inky was an indoor bun while he was being neutered and he now lives outside permenantly with Smokey.

I don't think it is such an issue if there are 2 rabbits, they keep each other amused and warm!

Inky is still very friendly with me, he's always been quite into being fussed and this hasn't stopped since he has moved outside.

Hi Tamsin!

Thanks for replying to my message! :) I do like to fret! :oops:

How long has scamp been outside for? Is he out permanently or just now and again? And is he still friendly with you? I'm worried she'll withdraw into herself and become a very scared little bun :cry:

I haven't got another run at the moment but could get something and try her outside, and putting a temporary divider into the wendyhouse is the only other thing I thought of, not sure how I'll do it but its probably one of the best ideas!

Scamp's not meant to be outside. He just thinks it's a fun place to explore. He ripped a metal grid off the cat flap, chewed the buttons on the locking mechanism and then went through. Gave me quite the fright - I thought we'd lost him but finally tracked him down. He let me walk up to him but was a bit skittish about being picked up until I broke out the pellets.

He's very friendly but so determined if he wants to do something - be it break out through the cat flap or work out how to jump on top of the fish tank. You can just see the little wheels going in his brain :roll:

I was worried about how he'd be as he got older but I think if he was going to go 'wild' he'd have done it by now. If her new boyfriends quite a friendly chap too then I would think you'll end up with two quite friendly bunnies. You can always bring them in for a run around... get those skirting boards smoothed down a bit :lol:

I thought the recommended time lapse between neutering and putting the male with an unspayed doe was anything between 6-8 weeks. I'd err on the side of caution and wait 8 weeks.

I thought the recommended time lapse between neutering and putting the male with an unspayed doe was anything between 6-8 weeks. I'd err on the side of caution and wait 8 weeks.

Yes I'm going to. I daren't risk it shes too small and delicate to have any babies!

And think we're going to definitely try and divide the new home for now until they can be together. aaaaahhhh :D

Back