• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Severe Anorexia

Gem

Wise Old Thumper
Really really thought we were loosing Silver earlier :cry:

She's now beginning to pass tiny tiny amounts of mucus covered poo so am hoping she's on the mend

She's now really fighting against being syringe fed, and as she's just skin and bone I don't want to hold her too tight in case I manage to break something :(

What can I feed her? I've tried most baby food, porridge, pureed pellets & veg, even tried some Dioralyte to help get more fluid into her- she just spat it at me :rolleyes:

Any ideas?

:( oh no hun...poor silver..poor you its hell when it goes like this.

With Bif the vets have to give her pain meds...an appetite increaser jab..b12 is it? And a hefty whack of metaclopramide and pills to go home iwth as they cant get any met syrup!

I can tempt her iwth the same food i tempted kibbles with all those years ago..
bif adores apple and anything smelling like apples or pears..so i get HIPP organic apple and pear pudding baby food first stage. We syringe small amounts in as she holds it in her mouth and spits or lets it all slide out:(
all you can do is try and if no sucess back to the vet ASAP..
the mucus on the tiny poos needs to be checked too but i know you know that so il shut up now!:oops:

I buy a bag of washed salad..its rocket watercress and spinach..and a bit of a leaf twiddled under her nose usually tempts her but maybe only for one leaf.
Hmm i was told by andrea and sue to try a chicory leaf as they find it gets buns guts going and buns like the stuff a lot.
i dont know bout that but i guess anything right now.
I hate it when they do this and you have to get fibrplex down there too..

nosey rubs for sulver and healing vibes coming her way and i hope she improves very soon..you know my number:wave:

Uou can try plain cearel like wheetabix/shreddies.

Are you syringe feeding her? Sometimes you need to do that a few times and then they start licking it up themselves.

ooh yes i got bif to lap food like that. not ideal with sugars in it but anything to get nourishment in and start the tummy rolling.

Have you tried some bread (toast), mine like shredded wheat, ryvita too. Anything to tempt them when they are not well (not ideal for the long term though)

Good luck, hope your bun is OK.

Have you tried to offer her some dandelions or fresh herbs? That seems to tempt most stubborn bunnies.

Back