• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Burns Plantain

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Has anyone else tried it??
It's gone down a storm with Jack and Poppy... they nearly take my hand off to get to it :lol:

Where do you get it Kerry? I am trying to grow it at the moment as pampered piggies sell the seeds but I am not sure what I am looking at to know what plantain looks like:oops: :lol: :lol:

Where do you get it Kerry? I am trying to grow it at the moment as pampered piggies sell the seeds but I am not sure what I am looking at to know what plantain looks like:oops: :lol: :lol:

It's like a banana but bigger and usually browner (I presume when ripe)

It's like a banana but bigger and usually browner (I presume when ripe)

Jilly told me that too but cannot see anything looking remotely like a banana yet unless they are eating it before it is getting chance to grow:lol: :lol:

I guess she means plantago lanceolata, or common plantain, which is a weed - my garden's full of it and they love it - it's really good for their digestion too. The west wales hay at the moment is more like meadow hay, due to the poor summer, and that's full of plantain too (unfortunatley buttercups, thistles, ragwort, knapweed, docks, etc too :roll: ) but they are loving it so I imagine it's similar to Burns?
here's a piccy off the web http://www.flickr.com/photos/sybe/442659046/

Ours love plantain, both fresh and dried. I have bought much larger and therefore cheaper bags of the dried variety from Zooplus. They sell it as ribwort, £2.99 for 400g. Doesn't say ribwort on the bag as it is all in German!

Am about to order some more, we mix it in with dried grass for a bit of variety!:wave: :wave:

I looked at it on Bunnybasics earlier and thought it looked nothing like the plantain I was thinking about :lol: looks like dried leaves so I guess it's the weed elve has shown. I've added it to my list of future "trys":D

MIne love it and thankfully it is very easily grown here. They are quite happy eating the broad leaved variety too, althought they do prefer the ribwort.

Back