• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering essentials

charl343

Warren Scout
Hi
so as Paddy is getting neutered (finally) on Friday, I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice.
Firstly I use woodshavings in his hutch (I know some people don't use them for whatever reasons but I do) so I know that your not meant to use hay or straw as this can irritate so can I use wood shavings or would it be more advisable to get carefresh or something?! I also have lots of blankets and towels that Paddy has used etc so should I also put on of these in his indoor cage as it will be unfamiliar surroundings?!
Also, if I was to make up and 'emergancy' kit (incase anything goes wrong *fingers crossed* it doesnt) what should I put in it?
I have already got hipps organic baby food as advised by another member incase he isnt eating too good but where can I get syringes!? Can I go to the chemist and get ones that you normally use for babies medicine!?
Ive got lots of his fav foods etc aswell to tempt him into eating - am I missing anything else?
Charl x

Definitely blankets rather than any other sort of bedding. You can put some in with him now, so they are familiar to him.
A snuggle safe - very important for Squidgy's recovery (actually we used a hot water bottle wrapped in a blanket as he can't chew it!).
The vet should give you some recovery food and a syringe - you can always just ask for a syringe or two whilst you're there. They should also give Paddy some pain relief and gut stimulant before he comes home.
Squidgy wouldn't eat pellets, just grass. Make sure he still has hay in a rack somewhere. He was tempted by dandelion leaves.
Good luck! I'm sure it will go fine.

Use a blanket or some vetbed and get a supply of his favourite veggies. Don't use woodshavings while he is recovering because it could get stuck to the wound. I just used some newspaper in the litter tray and left hay in rack when Honey was neutered.

Hope it goes OK.

He will need to be indoors the night after his operation as well - although it's only just into september it's cold at night and he won't be able to maintain his body temperature after the anaesthetic. So you will need either some sort of overnight indoor cage or a safe place to put him without a cage like a utility room or bathroom. The only other thing I'd suggest is offer him a bowl as well as a bottle, many buns prefer to drink from a bowl after an anaesthetic.

Back