• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rex & Skin problem????? U/D Pics Added!

LittleBunniesRock

Warren Scout
Little Bun has recently been pulling the fur out of Rex's face... I don't know why she does it, nor do I know why he lets her :roll: as he is def not moulting. I gave a gentle pull to the remaining tufts and he was not happy lol.

Anyway, was wondering if there was anything wrong with the skin on his face/ everywhere. His face now feels almost exactly like peach fuzz, only coarser with the hairs growing back. Most of his face has turned back into it's normal mouse gray colour, but there are 2 circular spots up the middle that aren't growing anything!!! They seem to be a little dry and a tiny bit flaky, but nothing serious; ie scabbing/ redness. Also, I was spending a little quality time with him (little bunny usually hogs the snuggling :lol: ), and when brushing him noticed a few white flecks. It was a wire brush, and a similar thing happens to our dog when we use a similar brush. I'm positive this is just dry skin, but was wondering if this was odd/ unusual? I'll try to get some pics up in a sec, but need to find batts for our camera :oops:

Not sure if this should have been posted in the health section... sorry if mis-posted ;)

Last edited:
OK- couldn't find batts, so i used my brother's phone. But he's on the only computer that will read that sorta stuff, and he won't get off so I can put it on a USB drive, so i'll hopefully get pics up sometime this evening.

Hi. I wouldn't use a wire brush on my rex..it could be too harsh on the skin. Have you taken him to be checked out? The vet could tell you if he has mites or not.

hehe sorry Rex actually isn't a rex at all... he's a Netherland Dwarf! ;)

DSC00089.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

Hope this helps!!! Sorry if they're a bit grainy- pics from a phone!!!

It looks as though Little Bun is displaying a behavioural problem by overgrooming Rex.
Rex will allow it as having his head groomed is telling him he is boss!!

Has Little Bun had her teeth checked? Dental problems can make a bun continuosly lick things, including their Bunny friend!!

Distraction from the behaviour may help so providing a stimulating and spacious environment well help prevent boredom.
Check for any stressors too, eg the evidence of predators, as 'compulsive over-grooming' can occur in anxious Rabbits. The repeated behaviour serving as a form of comfort.

You could try putting a tiny amount of Aloe Vera Gel on the dry skin on Rex's face. But you may find this draws Little Bun's attention to the area even more :rolleyes:

A Vet check for both Buns would be a good idea to ensure there are no physiological problems going on.

Janex :)

Thanks for the suggestions... it was obviously in the wrong section :oops: :oops: :oops: , so thanks to whoever moved it!!!

Will check Little Bun's teeth, but will also get some aloe- vera gel for Rex.

Also, will ask around if anyone has some good toy suggestions- Will try that and see if Little Bun stops grooming!!!

I don't think it's ringworm... my brother had it once, and the skin isn't red, or seem to be inflamed.

Back