• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difficult decision to contemplate...

Status
Not open for further replies.
well I'm lucky to have a council house and be living on benefits and maintenance. I do feel it's an awful dilemma for women who want to start a family these day though - you shouldn't be forced out to work because raising children is work! Very sad :(

This is quite a personal post and would value your opinions but I already feel bad enough even contemplating this decision so please do not shoot me down in flames.

My hubbie's company has been taken over 6 months ago and he has only just been given a new contract. He used to get a lower basic salary with a good opportunity to earn bonus (he worked really hard last year and got £15000 bonus)!

Anyway, he now has no opportunity to earn bonus, overtime rate gone, hours increased etc... it just gets worse! with 1 day's notice!

The difficult situation we are in is we bought our new house last year and are mortgaged to high heaven. We bought a larger property as we wanted to start a family next year. With hubbie's new basic wage it looks like we can't afford to start a family if I worked 3 days as planned! I have done calculations if I worked 4 days and we are still short and that's even with cutting down on everything (although I haven't calculated any child benefit or childcare vouchers for nursery before tax).

The question I want to ask is has anyone ever contemplated or had to rehome their animals for the sake of starting a family?

It may not even come to this as he may start looking at alternative jobs etc... but it looks like his trade is all going the same way.

Thanks
Lian x

If things are that tight perhaps it isn't the right time to be starting a family? How much would rehoming the animals save you? Hope he gets another job soon :cry:

Well I would not start a family if it meant rehoming my animals I mean your animals don't deserve to be outed just so you can have a baby the poor things this makes me so sad and angry :evil:

I also wanted to add their is no decision to make really in my eyes at the end of the day the animals came 1st - if I had a person in my life that I could say "I had a friend who went through this a while ago" well they would no longer be in my life as they obviously have no values when it comes to the love towards their animals and this is something I feel strongly about :D

Most mortages have a fixed term and then you can change, like ours is a 35 year interest only mortgage with a fixed interest rate for the next 2 years. (we went interest only cos we're just getting on the ladder) After that time we'll change mortage (and we'll switch to repayment). Could you change and get yourself on a fixed rate? That way you know what your payments will be each month and it will be easier to budget, plus no chance of them jumping up by £150!

I dont think rehoming them would make you able to start a family, if things are that bad you are considering this, then you wouldnt save enough by rehoming them to make it possible. if that makes sense? xx

Perhaps talk to your mortgage co. and see if they can rearrange a better deal for you with your new situation (which is really bloomin bad luck).This may free up some more cash. From my experience, this is usually a good idea, and they willl usually try to arrange something that you can pay rather than something you might or might not pay.

I hope things improve for you soon :D
Edit - sorry Wallnut, was posting at same time :wave:

I also think it might be a good idea to talk to your mortgage company- maybe consider another fixed rate? Or payment holiday.

Hope your hubby can find a new job soon.

I'm sorry you are in this situation, hope you mange to sort things out. :D

I'm not suprised you removed your posts :roll:

Thanks to those who have posted some useful suggestions - that's actually what I wanted but obviously didn't word my original post very well. :oops: :oops:

I feel really upset by some comments and you couldn't be further from the truth. What I hadn't expressed in my post was that my friend who has always owned rabbits said she would look after them short or long term for me if it meant that we would be financially better off to start a family (we live in the same village). I didn't go into this detail because I hadn't realise I would be judged so unfairly.

Things like this are the reasons why I just don't want to be part of rabbit rehome anymore, but I just wanted to say thanks to all those who have offered valuable advice.

Thanks
:wave:

Sorry that you're upset norrielian.

I think sometimes we (me included) forget to include vital info in our posts, then get upset or annoyed when people misunderstand what we mean.

Try not to take it personally. :D

Amy

I think that it is time that some people got off their high horses when it comes to the topic of rehoming pets.

There are been a couple of other cases where people come on and ask for genuine help and advice and get treated worse than a murderer for daring to suggest they might have to rehome their pets. :(

Grow up and try to see things from somebody elses point of view for once.

See...whenever there's a strong opinion one way, there's another the other way!
No need to go, you asked for well meant advice and got some. You also got some opinions that you didn't ask for, so what? Happens every day, everywhere.
Please stay :wave:

No need to go, you asked for well meant advice and got some. You also got some opinions that you didn't ask for, so what? Happens every day, everywhere.

Those are very wise words :D

I think that it is time that some people got off their high horses when it comes to the topic of rehoming pets.

There are been a couple of other cases where people come on and ask for genuine help and advice and get treated worse than a murderer for daring to suggest they might have to rehome their pets. :(

Grow up and try to see things from somebody elses point of view for once.

Completely agree. :thumb:

Louise

Doesn't give people the right to be nasty about it and make the person feel awful.

Louise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back