• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet Shop Bun

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Hello everyone:wave:

It has been a while since I last came on this website, but I hope you are all very well!!

I came across a local pet shop the other day, so I thought I would have a quick look inside. Sadly at the back of the pet shop they kept a few breeding rabbits, which some had young babies which they would sell when the babies were old enough. I noticed that one of the breeding rabbits sadly had over grown front and bottom teeth. The rabbit looked like he was having problems getting water from the bottle. I spoke with a young girl who worked there and I informed her about the over grown teeth, her reply was, "Oh are they? Well he can eat okay" I informed her it wasn't the point the rabbit could eat okay, so i gave her some information and education on Rabbits teeth and how to keep them down, she said she would inform the Pet keeper.

I felt pretty upset, so I contacted the RSPCA to report it. They contacted me this morning to say they had attended the rabbit and the owner had cut the teeth down. I was under the impression the rabbit would have to go to the vet for this? Also, can teeth just be cut down?

Thanks
Sarah-Jane :)

If they are breeding from the Doe with maloccluded teeth then the babies are all likely to be affected too !! :evil: :censored:

It is not a good idea to cut the teeth as this can damage the enamel and lead to infection, abscesses and osteomyelitis.

:cry:

Janex

That sounds horrible:shock: If a bun has teeth like that the rabbit itself as well as siblings and parents should never be bred again, as this is inheritable. :cry:

Surely shouldn't the RSPCA inspector have informed them not to breed from a rabbit with teeth problems?!

There should be a law against it :evil:

Awwwww all to common in petshops they don't think of the health of the bun only the profit. There is a pet shop near us and i am disgusted and boycot it. It is smelly full of flies and one time me and my daughter was in there buying supplies only to find a bably rabbit with bloat you could clearly see its tummy was huge it was lying on its side and clearly very unwell. All the pet shop owners said was "OH" so i got hold of my little girls hand and siad "come on becca" this shop is disgusting and you never guess what they laughed i was so upset i had to come home. I am very strict on my rabbit teeth and bum checks they are important things to keep check on.

Sorry about the rant :censored: :censored:

Back