• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In Or Out

happy little bunny

Warren Scout
I got a buck joey that lives outside at the moment i got a female to put with him but she is not at all happy with that and attacked joey she also attacks me when i put her food in her hutch. Anyway i think joe needs more company and hes lonely on his own i cant get another rabbit i have 4 already the other two are bonded. so i was wondering if i should bring him in the house to be a house rabbit. we have a dog and 4 cats as well does anyone think he would be happier in the house as theres more going on to keep him occupied and with the other animals for company:?

There are some experts on bonding here so they should be able to give you advice. The one thing i've learnt on here is the bonding has to be done on netural ground. Have you just put them in a hutch together straight away? If yes try putting them someone like your bathroom that neither of them has been before.

Usually having the female spayed makes them less aggressive, but make sure you find a vet who has updated skills in small animals (they don't do much at vet college) - and it should also help her bond better.

Like the previous poster says, bonding goes best somewhere neutral where neither rabbit has been before, like a smallish room or shed, and it's best to leave them a couple of days before returning them to the hutch, which needs to be thoroughly cleaned out and deodorised first.

It's normal for rabbits to scuffle and chase each other about a bit while sorting out who will be boss, but needs to be split up if they lock onto each other and whirl around digging at the other rabbit's stomach, which can cause serious injury.

Usually having the female spayed makes them less aggressive, but make sure you find a vet who has updated skills in small animals (they don't do much at vet college) - and it should also help her bond better.

Like the previous poster says, bonding goes best somewhere neutral where neither rabbit has been before, like a smallish room or shed, and it's best to leave them a couple of days before returning them to the hutch, which needs to be thoroughly cleaned out and deodorised first.

It's normal for rabbits to scuffle and chase each other about a bit while sorting out who will be boss, but needs to be split up if they lock onto each other and whirl around digging at the other rabbit's stomach, which can cause serious injury.

I tried to put them some where neutral and bracken (female) attacked Joe and made his private bits bleed i had to take him to the vets they did the swirling thing to and bracken just sat there the whole time with her tail in the air she was very wound up ive tried to bond them on several occasions but she just wont have it and i dont want joe to get hurt again

ive been told it can take up to 3 months for them to bond,i will be doing this myself on thursday as i am getting a buck for my doe,ive got a large run and i am splitting it into 2 with mesh and gonna let them get used to each other like that how long it will take i dont know but they wont be able to get at each other till thre ready,hope that this helps and i hope it works,will let you know.

Back