• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding

Please dont breed your rabbit, if that is what you intend to do (if not then i apologise), when there are already thousands in rescue centres across the country.
Rabbits can breed from a very young age, not 100% sure. Someone else will confirm.

Rabbits should be separated to prevent breeding at 8-10 weeks. They shouldn't be breed until 8-9 months.

Tam

Agreed. Bunnies should be fully grown before bred, which for most breeds mean 8 months. Also IF they are going to be bred they should be bred before 1.5 years, or the chance of birth-complications grow. It depends on what shape the bunny is in, overweight does should not be breed.

But like Oscarbunny says, breeding bunnies should not be done lightly. It's not always as easy as some seem to think, and the market is loaded with buns already.

i agree with oscarbunny and zakurarabbit, please do not bred from your bunny. There are so many problems that are associated with breeding your rabbits. If not, I'm sorry.

Breeding any animal shortens lifespans, and what if you have to keep upto 15 babies all of which live 8-12 years on average? *If* you have the time and space for more rabbits, please do consider rescuing them.:)

Heya,
Thanks for all the advice, no I wasn't intending to breed I was just wondering.
I have a castrated male rabbit, he is called Bramble.
He is fab and all he wants is attention I am always with him either cuddling him or walking around the place with him!
Thanks again
Holly-Bunny ;)

Whoa guys :shock: this is what everyone is talking about. Give a person a chance to come back to you before you jump on them! People can ask questions about breeding without doing it, it may have been someone wanting to know when to separate a brother and sister for example!

Whoa guys :shock: this is what everyone is talking about. Give a person a chance to come back to you before you jump on them! People can ask questions about breeding without doing it, it may have been someone wanting to know when to separate a brother and sister for example!
:thumb: Well said. There's been a few 'jumping' incidents lately and people get upset, and some have left over it.

EDIT sorry, didn't realise this was your 1st post, Welcome to the forum :wave:

Last edited:
^^ I thought that too.:? Unfortunately mentioning breeding on this forum is like taking a steak to a pack of wild angry wolves!:shock: :lol:

Welcome to the forum Holly-Bunny,:wave: we'd love to hear more about Bramble. Do you have any pictures?:D

Heya,
Thanks for all the advice, no I wasn't intending to breed I was just wondering.
I have a castrated male rabbit, he is called Bramble.
He is fab and all he wants is attention I am always with him either cuddling him or walking around the place with him!
Thanks again
Holly-Bunny ;)

Sorry if it appeared that i was 'jumping on you', that was not my intention. Please post some piccies of Bramble, he sounds lovely. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,
Does anyone know what age rabbit are able to breed at?
Thanks
Holly-Bunny

I think people could be forgiven for thinking this was a request for ill-conceived breeding

i still think people should wait before they comment. like say ' ar eyou planning to breed?' and leave it at that. not 'are youpanning to breed, if so.......etc etc etc etc etc' i know nobody means it badly, youre all nice people, but thats my opinion:)

Back