• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bobbie- I Am Doing the Right Thing Aren't I ? U/D Decision Made

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Next Monday Bobbie is booked in for a Chest X-ray and blood test. If all is OK she will be spayed.
I know spaying a Doe has a multitude of benefits *but* I already feel sick with worry about how Bobbie will cope. She so nearly died a few months ago and now she is such a happy Bunny. Very affectionate and with an amazing character :love:
The thought of something going wrong during her spay keeps going around in my head. I was awake all last night trying to convince myself that spaying Bobbie is in her best interests. After all we are doing the pre-op' X-ray and bloods and I know Tim is an excellent Vet.
But I have failed to put my mind at rest, I feel sick just thinking of next Monday. After all she has endured in her short life what if things go wrong..........:cry:

Spaying is for the best isn't it.........

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Janex

Last edited:
I am having the same mental fight about my Lunas Spay:oops: I know I should do it, I know it is the right thing to do but I am so worried about some thing going wrong that I have not even booked it :oops:

It is kind of nice for me to see that some one who I see as knowlageable also has the same worries and is in the same club so to speak. Do you think we should have badges made :lol:

I promice to send really positive vibes all day long on Monday :D

Ah well - you're asking the wrong person now :) The way I see it is if they died tomorrow they wouldn't care less - although I would - all they care about is being happy NOW. Spaying protects us from one way of losing them though.

I still haven't seen any stats to prove spayed does live longer than unspayed either - As you know, there's a whole host of other things more likely to kill your bunnies than uterine cancer :(

However I would never encourage anyone to not spay their bunnies - it's an individual choice and the responsibility rests with the rabbit's carer and not me. It is essentially a gamble, and only you can weigh up the odds.

Well if she has a lovely character ad isnt aggressive...why not postpone it a while, because she has been through so much? x

Ah well - you're asking the wrong person now :) The way I see it is if they died tomorrow they wouldn't care less - although I would - all they care about is being happy NOW. Spaying protects us from one way of losing them though.

I always thought that it can be quite a horrific death...

I'm kind of with Elve tbh. I am pro spaying to prevent uterine cancer and pregnancy and I probably would spay Bobbie in time but I don't think there's any rush as you say she's happy for the first time in her life. A hard decision Jane, I don't envy you xx

As you know Jane I`m for spaying & spay all my bunnies if there are no obvious health reasons to say otherwise.
But at the end of the day you know Bobbie best, what she has been through already & I know you will do what you feel is best for her.

I personally would have the pre-op checks done, see what the results say & then take it from there.

At the end of the day I tend to go with what my heart is telling me & if you don`t feel it`s the right thing to do, then perhaps put it on hold for now & see how you feel at a later date.

Hope that makes some sort of sense?

Su.xx

I agree with Su, go with your gut feeling and if that's not to spay her yet then don't - there's no rush

I agree - I made the decision to spay Snowdrop because I trust the advice of my vet and I believe it is the best thing for her and I believe I am doing the right thing by her - when you know you are doing the right thing by Bobbie then get her spayed - there's no rush :D

I always thought that it can be quite a horrific death...

If one of my girls gets cancer I'll take her for an op, and if it's already spread then I'll keep her comfortable for as long as I can, and PTS when I can see she's not enjoying life any more. I know rabbits hide pain but I do watch them and I think I'd notice if they were ill.

If one of my girls gets cancer I'll take her for an op, and if it's already spread then I'll keep her comfortable for as long as I can, and PTS when I can see she's not enjoying life any more. I know rabbits hide pain but I do watch them and I think I'd notice if they were ill.

Elve I really wish that was the case. I lost my first big old Girlie to uterine cancer and it broke my heart. She had reacted badly to an op when she was a baby and I daren't risk another but that was a mistake I think. She was nearly 9 years old and had had a great life, spending most of it as a much loved housebun and part of the family. The first I knew of her illness, she was struggling to move one morning, mouth breathing and I had to rush her to the vet. They took a quick x-ray wish showed a mass and I had 20 minutes to decide whether to give her pain relief over the weekend and buy some time to say goodbye, or end her pain there and then. I decided to call it I day, for her sake, and spent the next half an hour cuddling and kissing her. It was horrendous and I will never have another unspayed female, not because I want them to live forever, but because, I could have prevented that and I didnt and I'll never forgive myself or forget, and she would have probably still been here today.:cry:

So my thoughts Jane, would be to take your vets advice and trust your instincts.

Elve I really wish that was the case. I lost my first big old Girlie to uterine cancer and it broke my heart. She had reacted badly to an op when she was a baby and I daren't risk another but that was a mistake I think. She was nearly 9 years old and had had a great life, spending most of it as a much loved housebun and part of the family. The first I knew of her illness, she was struggling to move one morning, mouth breathing and I had to rush her to the vet. They took a quick x-ray wish showed a mass and I had 20 minutes to decide whether to give her pain relief over the weekend and buy some time to say goodbye, or end her pain there and then. I decided to call it I day, for her sake, and spent the next half an hour cuddling and kissing her. It was horrendous and I will never have another unspayed female, not because I want them to live forever, but because, I could have prevented that and I didnt and I'll never forgive myself or forget, and she would have probably still been here today.:cry:

So my thoughts Jane, would be to take your vets advice and trust your instincts.

I would like to see some stats on how many spayed females live to be 9yrs old.

I'm in favour of spaying (I have spayed girls of about 6, 5 and around 2 years old at the moment).

However I am not in favour of early spaying. I think a rabbit should be fully grown before I would even contemplate spaying. IMO 8 months is a good age for spaying a small or medium sized bun.

Obviously rescues need to spay buns early so they can go to new homes as soon as possible, and I certainly wouldn't criticise this. There is no other option really.

Amy

The thing you have to consider about delaying it is that you won't know what condition she'll be in in a few months - if she's healthy now, I'd have the op done while you know she's fit for it. If you pass up the opportunity now (if the tests show her to be OK) and she goes on to get worse with snuffles to the point where an op would be highly risky for her then you may never get the chance to spay her - and the last thing you'd want is for her to battle through snuffles and develop uterine cancer.

I would like to see some stats on how many spayed females live to be 9yrs old.

Me too, I'd love to see some official stats.

I know I was lucky getting my girl to nearly 9 anyway, but its frustrating that she died from something I could have prevented, if she'd have showed any signs before I would have made sure she was treated, but there was nothing.

I had Smokey spayed, partly to prevent womb cancer but also because she was so very hormonal. We had false pregnancies and everything, she was quite miserable really. She's a lot happier now, so I think I made the right decision.

I suppose a lot depends on how hormonal your girl is. Mine was obviously having a hard time but if she hadn't been, perhaps I would have found the decision more difficult to make.

Stats probably couldn't tell you the age that the rabbit was neutered though.

Yes I do think that's very significant too.

Doncat if the anaesthetics and stress involved in spaying take a toll on the rabbit's liver, as I believe, you could well have had your girl spayed and lost her to something else - there is no way of knowing unfortunately. I would be happy if my girls (and neutered boy) live to 9 - it's a good age and above average, and like you say, she enjoyed life till the end :)

Back