• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fifi Refused her breakfast

Diddeen

Wise Old Thumper
Oh no.. here we go again :?
Fifi has been fine otherwise but one evening a week or two ago she refused her supper.. i did all the usual and by morning she was back to normal again. Well last night she was fine, this morning she keeps sitting putting her tail up as if she's trying to go to the toilet or something. Just gave her infacol and water and tummy rubs... hopefully will be short lasting like last time.

Perhaps it might be an idea to get her urine tested. If she's got a urine infection that could make her uncomfortable enough to stop eating.

Tam

oh right.. hadnt even thought about that.. i just assumed she must have slight bloat or something and did all the massaging. She is still extremely lively so will have to see if i can even get any wee. I guess if you cant a vet would be able to express some??

It could just be that but often tummy issues are just secondary symptoms of something else. Particularly if she's usually not got a sensitive tummy.

If we feel a bit icky for some reason and don't eat much for a few days it's not a big issue but for a bunny that causes stasis. It's hard to detect a rabbit feeling a bit off as they hide things so well so sometimes the only symptom is when they stop eating.

The vet can give you a sterile litter tray or you can give one a good clean then if she'll wee in it without litter just tip it into a pot.

The lifting her tail and not going can be a sign of urine infection.

Tam

She may have cystitis secondary to 'bladder sludge'
I would get her checked by the Vet. As Tamsin says reduced GI motility /Anorexia is usually a secondary symptom to another problem

Hope Fifi feels better soon

Janex

i went up and emptied all the litter trays, refilled with clean litter/hay and was trying to figure out how i could get her to wee... I put down a bowl of dried grass and coneflower which she likes.. and she came running and shoved her head in and is now munching it like mad.. hmmm now i dont know what to do.. wait and see if it happens again i guess. Maybe when i pass the vets later i'll go in and ask if i can get a tray just in case it happens again:? she is just making sure she keeps me on my toes i reckon :? very odd

Is there anything that would cause urine infections in rabbits?? I did try putting a bowl of water down recently after a few posts on here about it but none of them bothered with it and it just got filled with hay etc so i gave up again.

Back