• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help- unidentifiable bottom problem

lil_sar

Warren Scout
Hi guys

Haven't posted on here for ages, new house, new job etc, all rather hectic :lol:
I'm worried about Tinker- she's got a problem with her bottom. It looks like she has a red deflated balloon- can bunnies suffer from piles?? What else can it be- she's a housebunny but hasn't been neutured yet, do they have monthlies??
I think I will make a vets appointment a.s.a.p.

Hi there,

I have heard of cases of prolapsed vaginas and anuses, not sure myslef as I've never persoanlly seen this, but I would definitely get her to the vet asap.

Does she seem in any distress/uncomfortable at all?

Hope you get it sorted

Swelling in that area can be a variety of problems eg infection, syphilis, myxi or like Thea says prolapse. A vets appointment sounds like a good idea.

Rabbits are induced ovulators, they don't have monthly cycles :)

Can you post a picture? How old is she?

If she is very young (about 4 - 5 months old) could this be a testicle? Very, very rarely rabbits can develope vaginal or rectal prolapses ... a cyst could develop.

Female rabbits do not have cycles, they are induced ovulators.

She's just over 6 months- at first I thought my little girl had turned into a boy, then i thought it might be some poo as she's got long hair but its red and a bit dangly. Problem is she won't let hold her, she goes absolutely mental and would induce further distress so I can't get a proper look. My neutured boy keeps chasing her, that's why I thought it could be something with monthly's but obviously that's not the case. hmmmmm, the mystery unfolds.

P.S She doesn't appear to be in any distress or discomfort- her usual mischevious self :?

Last edited:
Tinker is a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol: For 6 months i've had a supposedly girlfriend for Dillon, how confused am i!!:lol:
We are getting her, i mean him neutered a.s.a.p as there is a bit of agression- i just thought it was cos Dillon was showing who's boss, looks like it was the other way round!!
At least it proves that 2 male bunnies can live happily with each other- they bonded successfully and totally adore one another........his girl just has huge testicles :D

:lol: Oh what a suprise! It will be a few months till he is less hormonal though, so watch for aggression getting worse - hopefully they will be happy together though :)

:D with those bad boys i'm surprised I didn't notice sooner. I suppose because I always thought Tinker was a girl I never really paid that close attention, even the vet confirmed it. I think we were both as surprised as each other:oops:

:shock: :lol: :lol: Thank goodness its nothing serious! You must be really relieved, if somewhat confused! :lol:

yes, just slightly!:lol:
I think I will always consider him a girl.....I think Tinker will end up the one being confused. Bless her...i mean him!

Back