• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding-Charlie and Jet UPDATE New pics

Sarah86

Mama Doe
I'm such a wuss, I was about to put Jet in the bath, straight after putting Charlie in but he grunted and stomped really loudly so I've chickened out and removed them both. He has his ears pricked right forward when he does it.

I've read loads on bonding them but I'm still confused. I'm wearing a hoodie and leather gloves if I need to separate them. I've tried them once, he humped her, she tried to hump him, they scuffled then he humped again then got bored and just flopped down about 8 inches away from her, she just sat and looked at him, should I have just left them like that? I'm waiting for a new hutch to arrive with a removable lid so I can bond them in there but wanted to try as early as possible before leaving them together overnight.

Shall I wash the bath out and just try again, how do you know the difference between scuffling and proper fighting?

Anyone in Leeds/Bradford that wants to do this for me!? :roll: :oops:

Last edited:
As far as I can find on the net, fur pulling, humping and mild chasing is ok. Locking on and whirling is not ok. Obviously biting and scratching is bad too. Mine have been together 4 days now, there was not much of anything for a day, then she groomed him, a day later he groomed her. Then he started constantly humping and spraying. He has calmed down now, still a bit of humping but not as bad. The longest time I've separated them is a couple of minutes to clean a few scratches on their ears. I would advise the gloves because I got bitten the first day :shock: Oh and my boy stomps for what seems like no reason, runs over to her, runs in circles, then either humps or lies down by her. His spraying only lasted a night thank goodness - it stank!
Flopping next to each other is good and grooming themselves is like a 'you're not bothering me' thing I think :lol: Also Elve said to me that touching them too much is best avoided, as it can confuse the scents. Hope it goes ok :)

Thanks for the reply! If they do 'lock on and whirl' should I break them up but leave them in the bath or split them up?

I think Charlie likes the sound it makes in the bath :lol:

Hiya Sarah - stick with it girl!! The humping and the fur pulling and scuffling is normal and I expect Charlie does like the noise in the bath!! men!! :rolleyes: :lol: Try not to seperate them too much, they are both very laid back bunnies but they still need to establish who is boss and form a relationship. If they start to scrap in earnest, just push them apart with your gloves and then step back again. I wouldn't bother washing the bath out it'll smell of them both anyway and like Bailey said try and leave them to it as much as you can and don't panic - you'll be fine :D

Thank for the boost! I'm going to need a large vodka by the end of the day! I'll give it another go now and take Harry Potter in with me.

If it doesn't work out Dave said she can live with him and I can live outside with Charlie because she doesn't answer back :lol:

He was impressed with your garden when all the bunnies came out and filled it I can see us ending up with something similar when we move to a bigger home in years to come :lol:

Thank for the boost! I'm going to need a large vodka by the end of the day! I'll give it another go now and take Harry Potter in with me.

If it doesn't work out Dave said she can live with him and I can live outside with Charlie because she doesn't answer back :lol:

:lol: Every cloud has a silver lining! :lol: Yes, if my two got a bit fighty, I pulled them apart and removed one to begin with, just for a few seconds to calm them down. After a few times I just pushed them apart instead like chloaster said :) Hopefully yours will get on easily :) Its day 5 now for me and as yet there have been no scuffles... this is the time they have been happening the last few days, so fingers crossed mine are over the worst!

oh my goodness im so dense... when i first read this posts i fort that you were bonding in a full bath of water/.... i was like wtf?!!! lol i then realised u were using it as a neutral place.... lol

Well mostly Charlie chases Jet, I think he's keen on her and keeps looking at me as if to say 'is there something wrong with me?' because she's playing hard to get. The humping has calmed down and he's now just nosing her face most of the time.

The bathroom is really uncomfortable and they were just lying next to each other, they've been grooming themselves and Charlie kept jumping out of the bath so I've expanded the space into some slight Charlie territory to see how things go.

They went from the bath to the bathroom then into the hallyway and now in the study with access to the hallway- I have lots of housework to do so would like to put them in the pen upstairs when it is okay to do so.

He is desperate for her to groom him but she's being stubborn, he's given her a little lick on the head a few times, she's nipped his in return so he's now flopped under the desk (glass so I can see what they're up to) and she's flopped behind the printer

Good lass - playing hard to get - she's been brought up proper you know!! :lol: Sounds like it's all going ok to me :D I'm sure in time they'll start grooming and fussing each other, don't try and rush them, they'll do things in their own time :D

He obviously hasn't been :lol: I won't rush them, they're both just flopped in the study with me at the moment and I'm leaving them to it with leather gloves to hand incase they start. I would've left them in the bath but Charlie kept jumping out and he was stamping because he didn't like it in there if there were any problems i would've put them back in it.

Photos

Charlie: You don't bother me
SP_A0017.jpg

Charlie: Is she looking?
SP_A0012.jpg

Charlie: Hey pretty lady
SP_A0014.jpg

Charlie: Maybe if I snuggle up she'll cuddle me back
Jet: I wish he'd sod off
SP_A0020.jpg

Last edited:
I hope so! He is so desperate to get near her and keeps trying to- bless him. He's flopped down watching her and every so often tries to approach her, she's cleverly got into a small space where he can't hump her.

Aw they are so sweet, glad its going well :) My girl was stubborn about the licking too. He would go and stick his head under hers and she would either ignore him or start washing herself :roll: :lol:

Thanks for the reply! If they do 'lock on and whirl' should I break them up but leave them in the bath or split them up?

I think Charlie likes the sound it makes in the bath :lol:

If they lock on to each other separate them for a few seconds only and then let them be together.

When I am bonding I dont use gloves as it is best not to handle them, I use a broom to pull one to the side for a few seconds before letting them go again.

Thanks for the input, I went for the water spray option in the end to avoid touching them, he just will not leave her alone, he'll settle down then as soon as she moves he runs across and grooms her then tries to hump her which she then turns on him for doing. Should I try and stop him humping her if she's getting sick of it?

Whats with the eye grooming too, why do they do that?

I'll bond them properly from Thursday-Monday because I won't be at work then and will sleep on the couch next to them. I didn't leave them together last night, he went back outside for a run around because he was getting fed up of being in a restricted area and she sat on the couch with us.

Back