• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm getting a rescue bun!

BunnyBekkie

Warren Veteran
Tuesday, after I finish work, we're going to start getting ready for a new bunny. We're hopefully (fingers crossed) going to bring home a little friend for Nibbles, so Tuesday her hutch is going to get a complete clean. We've borrowed my Grandma's pressure washer and everything! So, the plan is, Tuesday evening, me and O/H travel to Barnsley to check out 2 lovely bunnies. I'm under strict instructions to only bring 1 bunny home (it's gonna be so hard!) So anyways, because we're going evening time, and Barnsley is like just over an hour away from me, we're going to put new bunny in a spare hutch over night to let him get settled in, and hopefully start bonding wednesday morning.
Now, I've neer tried bonding bunnies before, but I've done loads of research on the internet about it, and the 1 thing I'm, not sure of, is, the size of the neutral ground. I've heard that it's got to be big enough to give the bunnies space, but not big enough for them just to sit at either side and ignore each other. Now, what size would that be?!

wow congratulations..

when I bonded I gave them a large space at first but slowly made it smaller as the day went on, I always found that mine fought more in a run than in a carrier! :shock: :lol:

Do you plan to bond inside or out? If indoors, the bathroom is a great place..usually small and every surface is washable!!:lol:

I'm bonding my two at the moment and I was unsure of the size of the space to use. I have no suitable neutral room to use all day, so they firstly went in the new neutral cage (6' by 2.5' with 3 storeys), but they have come out for a run around my hallway each night for a few hours too. Just make sure you can reach them wherever they are, incase they fight and you have to separate them. I've slept by mine since I put them together too, I miss my comfey bed! :( I hope it goes well and they get on easily :)

I was planning on using the bathroom, but if it's a nice day, I'd rather the bunnies be outside. Nibbles doesn't really enjoy coming in the house, she gets a bit nervous. Maybe thats just coz she can smell my other bunny who lives outside too, but rules the house at every chance she gets. But Biscuit has never been in the bathroom... Hmmmm...

No. The original bunny I contacted them about is though, but he was reserved, but I was told about 2 others who I'm going to see on Tuesday :D

I would say the difficulty in bonding outdoors is intefering if anything goes wrong.....its much harder to get into a run to split up two rabbits (not to mention them hopping over the side while your back is turned) than it is to grab them if they are on the kitchen or bathroom floor.

Hope it all goes well for you.

Back