• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

weight loss-advice

bunny mad lisa

Mama Doe
Hi
My bunny has lost approx 700grams within about a couple of months. She has had a few health problems which I haven't been able to diagnose 100% but she seems o.k now and is eating quite well although not as much excel as before. I weighed her today and she has lost 100g in a week, i was surprised as she is better now and is that alot to lose in a week? and will it take time to put the weight back on?

Unexpected weight loss in a Bun is usually a 'warning sign'
What health problems has your Bun had?
Does she have a history of Dental problems or Snuffles?
Is she spayed?
Does she live alone or is she bonded?

Sorry for all the questions but it may help us to offer some suggestions if we have a bit more info'

Janex

thanks Jane
She is neutered and lives with a male. she started with a lump growing in her anus which has been treat and reduced brilliantly and causes her no problems but I think the stress of putting the cream on(as she hates being handled) started her with a chest infection which she seems to be over although she is going for a check up. She had a poor appetitie too so was given a steroid injection which did get her eating again. She is fine in herself and begs for treats! She has one runny eye. i did suspect teeth and they have been looked at and one of her front ones has been broken, so i did wonder if that was causing problems as she stopped eating her carrots. I have since grated them and she wuffs them down. As she is a rescue and gets very stressed i didn't want to put her under anisthetic unless crucial, so it's hard to know exactly whats the problem. i was mostly concerned as i thought because she was eating better she shouldn't have lost anymore weight. Do you think 100gm is alot in a week? or does she need time to put the weight back on?

She dosnt drink or urinate excessively does she? Im sure one of our rescues has lost weight recently and those are her other symptoms.

thanks Jane
She is neutered and lives with a male. she started with a lump growing in her anus which has been treat and reduced brilliantly and causes her no problems but I think the stress of putting the cream on(as she hates being handled) started her with a chest infection which she seems to be over although she is going for a check up. She had a poor appetitie too so was given a steroid injection which did get her eating again. She is fine in herself and begs for treats! She has one runny eye. i did suspect teeth and they have been looked at and one of her front ones has been broken, so i did wonder if that was causing problems as she stopped eating her carrots. I have since grated them and she wuffs them down. As she is a rescue and gets very stressed i didn't want to put her under anisthetic unless crucial, so it's hard to know exactly whats the problem. i was mostly concerned as i thought because she was eating better she shouldn't have lost anymore weight. Do you think 100gm is alot in a week? or does she need time to put the weight back on?

Has she been on NSAIDs aswell as having the Steroid injection ?
I wonder if it would be a good idea to get some bloods done (Kidney and Liver Function) :? NSAIDs and Steroids affect both
As she has at least one broken tooth I would *guess* that her teeth are part of the problem.
She may also still have some latent infection even though she's clinically asymptomatic as far as a Respiratory problem is concerned (Steroids significantly impare the immune system).
If she were my Bun I would certainly not want her to continue to lose weight given her history

Hope she will be OK

Janex

Hi...

This might just be to simple...but have you considered worms? I posted a new topic on them yesterday. When I first got the twins, it was remarkable how much Clicquot was eating and allthough she was only 12 weeks, she didn't really gain weight, which she shoul at that age. I discoverder the worms , she was threathed and she eats far less now and has gained some weight.

Good luck!

thanks Jane, forgive my ignourance but what is NSAIDs? She had one steroid injection that was to last a week and she has been on baytril for 2 weeks. She is eating well i just couldn't understand her losing the weight. She is going for a check up on wednesday and see what the vet says.

thanks Clicquot, how do you know they have worms? do you see them in the droppings?

Yes, Metacam is a Non Steroidal Anti-inflammatory med.
Sorry, I was typing the previous post in a bit of a hurry :oops:

Janex

Back