• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny shaking his ears - what am i to look for?

bunny_scabbit

Warren Scout
title says it all really....

preston keeps shaking his head, well more his ears, then scratching at them.

is there anything i should be looking out for?
or do you think a trip to the vet is required?

thanks in advance

My "Dwarf Rabbits: A complete pet owner's manual" book says "Ear mites can cause head shaking, ear scratching and hair loss on the head and neck. Medication to treat these parasites can be purchased at most pet stores."

Sorry if that's no help, but I think if you're still unsure, a trip to the vets can't hurt

Hiya, my bunny shook his head and strached his ears when he had an abscess under his ear. Not saying this is what it is but I reckon a trip to the vets wouldn't hurt :D

xx

Sparkle gets ear mites every summer it seems, and head shaking is usually the first sign.

If there is brown crusty stuff inside the ear at the bottom then it's definitely mites and pretty far on too. Even if you can't see anything I agree that a vet trip is in order. The vet will diagnose by sticking a light & magnifier down the ear so he can see the mites.

Sparkle gets ear mites every summer it seems, and head shaking is usually the first sign.

If there is brown crusty stuff inside the ear at the bottom then it's definitely mites and pretty far on too. Even if you can't see anything I agree that a vet trip is in order. The vet will diagnose by sticking a light & magnifier down the ear so he can see the mites.

ta for the messages.

i will defo get him to the vet tomorrow.
tried to look in his ears but they are so long and rigid i couldn't see anything.

he is a bit down in the dumps too, could this be a symptom of ear mites?

My dog suffers from ear canker from time to time, which I guess is the same sort of misery as mites - lots of irritation, soreness etc. shown by scratching and shaking.
I'd def go to the vet to get something asap, as earache does make you pretty miserable.

My Poppy had scabs on her ears, so I thought it was mites - then the scab fell off.. taking a nick of the ear with it?

So to the vets we went - he said couldn't see any mites but prescribed Xeno 450 Spot On.. Not sure if you can buy it elsewhere - but the price tag was £40 a box.. !!! Don't think she even has mites but now both of them are getting treated!!

well, took little p to the vet today and he said his ears were cleand and healthy looking, no ear mites. bit confused why he was shaking his ears for last 3 days but has oddly stopped since seeing the vet!

glad i got him check over though.

ta for all the messages

Back