• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi survivors

elve

Banned
According to a thread on care, rabbits that survive myxi carry the virus for up to 7 months, so any biting insect, including fur mites, can transfer the virus from bunnies that survive - Anyone know if this is true as it must affect Kareen and Adele at least? :shock:

According to a thread on care, rabbits that survive myxi carry the virus for up to 7 months, so any biting insect, including fur mites, can transfer the virus from bunnies that survive - Anyone know if this is true as it must affect Kareen and Adele at least? :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Oh no!, I think we all ned to know the answer to this one

I haven't a clue. Does nodular myxi count? As you probably know from my previous posts Floss had it last year(both buns were covered by the vaccine at the time), but Bournville never got it, not did my vet advise me to seperate them as he felt that isolating Floss would be an added stress factor for her.

*Remembers A Level biology*

If a flea/fly landed on a rabbit who had the virus still in their bloodstream, sucked their blood & then went to a new rabbit and sucked their blood too, there probably is at least a small chance of a blood transfer from the infected rabbit to the one who isn't, in a similar way to sharing needles in humans.

But I might be wrong!

*edited to say that there'd have to be some pathogens(??) in the blood for them to be transmitted* :)

Last edited:
Ah but if said rabbit has recovered from myxi, then surely there will be myxi antibodies in its blood? :shock:

It might be that the rabbit will seem recovered, but still has very small amounts of virus in the blood stream which are still being destroyed. These might then get passed on. It depends how much of the virus is needed to cause myxi in another rabbit. I'm not sure what you mean about the antibodies Elve?

In short, and if I remember correctly, antibodies are made by white blood cells (the immune system) to stop a second infection of the same disease.

Transfer of antibodies would also be possible, if the same lines are taken with regards to blood transfer, but there may not be enough transferred.

In short, and if I remember correctly, antibodies are made by white blood cells (the immune system) to stop a second infection of the same disease.

Transfer of antibodies would also be possible, if the same lines are taken with regards to blood transfer, but there may not be enough transferred.

Yes, antibodies are made to combat the disease and come from white blood cells. They lessen the effects of the disease and then other memory white blood cells remain in the body after recovery, so if the pathogen is encountered again, the immune response is quicker and the disease less severe. But I was under the impression that if an antibody was transferred from one individual to another, this can be treated as a foreign body, targeted and destroyed. Thats why I was wondering what Elve was meaning by it. Even if it didn't get destroyed, its is unlikely that enough antibody would be transferred to initiate a strong enough immune response.

From my own professional experience I would be surprised if this was the case.

I can understand with some parasite infections that you would remain a carrier even after recovering from an illness. With the myxie virus rabbits acquired partial immunity after being affected by this, I have always been informed that recovery occurs following this, I have never heard of a carrier status.

Looking at the internet tonight I can find nothing to support this, the only reference to carriers of myxie are biting insects. I would definately be interested to see any research articles to support the carrier status of this following infection with the myxis virus.

Back