• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I cant stop cying - shaking like anything!! - URGENT HELP

Pringle

Warren Veteran
On way back from asda with o/h and there was a rabbit sitting in middle of the main road round from my house, was just sitting their not moving and when headlights went on it it was riddled with myxi :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: i dont knw where it came from and my o/h said what will be do.....
Well im so :censored: horrible i said best thing would be to hit it so it was out its misery (looked in so much pain and lifeless:cry: ) so i got out car and walked round road, i phoned other half to say i dont know if he should do it or not but if he didnt i would wonder what would happen to the por we thing and it would end up being hit by someone else, i said its his decisioon and if he does it to do it fast and make sure its out its misery....:cry: why would t be sitting in the middle of a main road :cry: i am so upset i cant stop crying and shaking.... poor wee thing :cry: its only around the corner though im now wondering if it will cause harm to my buns..

o/h just phoned and asked what we should do..its now on corner of the road he cant get to it.... its breaking his heart to...what do we do :cry: it looks in pain and msery !!!

Aww, sorry to hear this, no idea what to do. Sorry for the useless response, hopefully little bunny will not suffer longer if the myxi is so advanced.

Im a big believer in euthinasia for the right reasons and if this poor bunny is that ill, its qwise to put it out of its misery. I know its hard, and i might not be able to do it if face with it, but its got to be done. x

Oh my, don't panic! It's not your fault. It's very hard to put something out of it's misery even if you think it's the best thing to do. :cry: I would do what you feel is right. It's not going to survive long now that myxi has set in anyway. I would probably let nature take it's course but I understand that you feel scared for your own bunnies.

Sorry, I can't tell you what to do :cry:

How far away from your home is it? Is this something that the RSPCA could deal with? Maybe they could catch it and put it to sleep and dispose of the body so it doesn't infect anything else.

I had to leave, i couldnt look at it so o/h sitting in car by it. Its at side of road on a corner so cant really get it...i wil never forget sight of that little bun :cry: hes going to phone vet for advice, its 2 streets away from me:cry: i know someone has a bun beside where it is though:cry: just hope to god theyhave had their myxis!! :cry: :cry:

O/H phoned vet and she wants him to take it to vet and she will have a look at it, hes going to put a towel over it and in a box then we will throw towel out. What will happen will we need to make sure we wash properly before touchin my buns? xx

As far as I know it's transferred through blood sucking animals and maybe through the urine and poo and saliva of infected rabbits. I would suggest washing your hands etc before visiting your buns and to be extra safe change your clothes and put old ones in wash straight away, though i'm sure it will be fine.

May I say well done for trying to help this bun, if you can manage to take the rabbit to the vet please do.

I owuld also suggest that you change clothing and ensure that you wash prior to going near your rabbits, just in case this rabbit has any fleas.

I had a similar thing happen today. Whilst driving to visit relatives there was a myxi bun by the side of the road... its not easy just to drive by, but I had nothing to pick it up with or put it in, and I was miles from anyway. I guess if I had a box, gloves and a towel, I would have stopped and got it to a vet, but I had to leave it. It's been on my mind all day, nothing should have to suffer like that, so well done for trying to help.:(

We've had to do this a few times with myxi buns and very sick ones that are at the side of the road :cry: :cry: :cry:
We always carry an old large towel and a blanket in the car for that reason - and get them to a vet:cry: :cry: :cry: The reason we have a large blanket is 'cos we had to take a very sick Pheasant that was at the side of the road one day:shock: :cry:

Well done for helping this bun - its an awful disease and no animal deserves to die this painful way. By getting little bun to the vet at least he can go in a humane way :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

When we get home we stand in the outer hallway and strip off our clothes and put them straight into the washing machine - then we shower - but better that than expose our buns to this awful disease:cry: :cry:

Bless you for doing this - the bunny will be at the Bridge soon and will thank you for releasing it from the pain and suffering:cry: :cry:

It is awful seeing a myxi bunny. I remember about 10 years ago, I was driving home and one was on side of the road actually being eating by a crow but was still alive. i think it was maybe hit by a car so had open wounds, and the crow saw the perfect opportunity. I was an absolute mess, not knowing what to do, I knew I couldn't leave it but I just couldn't do it. So went home in floods of tears and a right state, my mum thought I had had an accident I was in that much of a mess. I told her and she went and sent him to the bridge. I felt so awful for not being able to do it straight away and knowing I had left him in pain for more minutes. i was just glad my mum had the guts to do it or I do not know what i would have done.

I salute everyone who has so many thoughts for animals in distress or harm.
Well done you!

I got a cardboard box and picked it up with a towel we then to it to the vet and the wee bun has now been PTS :cry: it was a girl and had full blown myxi...looked horrible, couldnt see her eyes and had swollen ear etc... at least i know the vet has put it to sleep happily..

R.I.P wee wild bunnie... hop free :cry: :love:

poor bunny, you did a great thing taking her to the vets, binky free little one XxX

My friend was on a walk once and saw a mxyi bun, poor thing was sitting there swaying, covered in flies, and massive swelling , her uncle broke it's neck, I suppsoe it was the kindest thing to do.

Back