• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

myxi advise needed urgently

kazman64

New Kit
Cant believe it. I've had rabbits for 30 years and have just lost my first bunny thr myxi. Make a note everyone its targeting Suffolk, my vet said he had put done 3 that week alone. I had bought a fancy new hutch for the first time which allowed him to leave his hutch and enter his run at his leisure via a ladder, may be this was a mistake coz the mozzies coud easily get to him. You think you're doing the best for your pet and then this happen.

Can anyone tell me if i'm doing the right thing. I have pressure cleaned my hutch with jeyes fluid can I use it again so soon. Can myxi sit on the ground where the hutch sat. I have new bunnies which I dare not let out yet til I get some good advise. They are only 7 week old so i am about to vaccinate them.

Cant believe it. I've had rabbits for 30 years and have just lost my first bunny thr myxi. Make a note everyone its targeting Suffolk, my vet said he had put done 3 that week alone. I had bought a fancy new hutch for the first time which allowed him to leave his hutch and enter his run at his leisure via a ladder, may be this was a mistake coz the mozzies coud easily get to him. You think you're doing the best for your pet and then this happen.

Can anyone tell me if i'm doing the right thing. I have pressure cleaned my hutch with jeyes fluid can I use it again so soon. Can myxi sit on the ground where the hutch sat. I have new bunnies which I dare not let out yet til I get some good advise. They are only 7 week old so i am about to vaccinate them.

Hi, I'm so sorry for your loss :( x

Myxi is spread by the likes of fleas or mosquitos. Fleas can live in the hay for some weeks, so provided everything has been cleared out completely and there is nothing left on the ground where the hutch sat then you will be fine.

I hope everything turns out okay for you.

I am sorry you lost your Rabbit to Myxo :cry:
This has been a very bad year for the virus due to the wet Summer

The hutch will be OK to use now you have disinfected it with JF and allowed it to thoroughly dry out.
I would advise you to cover the hutch and run with mozzi netting and ensure that your Rabbits are vaccinated CORRECTLY by your vet. 10% of the vaccine must be given intradermally. This is easier to do in the base of the ear than the scruff. It is also a good idea to treat your Rabbits and any other pets you have for fleas

Janex

Back