• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sometimes I despaire about P@H

So I was running low on piggy food and deciede to stop by P@H and as usual while I'm in there I take a peek at the adoption pets and find this adorable uppy eared bunny. It was a small breed of rabbit and I'm sure I'd seen a piccy of a bunny just like it in someones siggy on here so I look down at the information and had to read it three times...."dwarf lop" SAY WHAT? How can an uppy eared bunny be a dwarf lop? And it's only like a third of the size of my bunny which they also claimed was a dwarf lop. At least they got the lop bit right on my bunny.

-sigh-

I despair. So I asked them why they have a uppy eared bunny listed as a dwarf lop. Their reply? Well he is. I pointed out that the very name lop dictates that they have lop ears, so their reply? Well that's what we were told he is. He's a cross.

-despairs-

That would be funny if it wasn't so stooopid!!! If someone brought in a guineapig and told them it was a rabbit do you think they'd label it as such :roll:

Not only would they label it as a rabbit they'd lable it "Dwarf lop rabbit, I am up for adoption because I need to be kept on my own" I swear they only change the name!

If it's still very young it's ears might not have lopped yet. Molly's didn't go all the way down till he was about 12-15 weeks. :)

He doesn't look young at all, he looks fully grown, of course P@H can't be bothered to put an approx age or even gender on this one. He does look like a fully grown small breed and I wish the person with one in their siggy would post so I can show people what it was.

Theres one like that in my local PAH, big up eared bun....small dwarf lop....what?? :roll:

Im sorry to offend anyone, but having two lops myself, one of which rearely lops. shes more of an uppy but her sister is a full lop. so tbh not all lops lop. There are worse pet shops than the aforementioned.

Gosh! That's pretty ignorant. I would imagine that a lop is a lop, doesn't matter if both parents were dwarf lops, if a bunny doesn't have floppy ears, how can it be called a lop?!

It's like saying "I have brown hair but my parents are both blonde, therefore I'm blonde too" DOH.... doesn't make sense!! :lol:

its not the same as your parents being blonde. this is your breed. not the colour of your hair. two lops cannot possibly produce a rex breed for example. x

its not the same as your parents being blonde. this is your breed. not the colour of your hair. two lops cannot possibly produce a rex breed for example. x

I agree that it's to do with breed. But it's most likely that the bun in question is a cross, therefore we can't really say it has a breed at all. How can a rabbit be pronounced a lop if the ears aren't lopped?! :? It's like calling Jane's boblets all lops just because one of them is :D

A lop by definition has down ears. If you have a lop with up ears then it is not a lop, yes it has lop in there but not 100% lop. Let me give you an example in human terms:

Me, my mum, my dad and as far back as anyone can remember are white. But there is ONE black person somewhere back there so we've been told. Which means that I could have a black baby. There hasn't been black in the family for over a hundred years but I could still have a full blown black baby with no trace of white. So just because this mythical baby is from caucasion parents does that mean that it's breed is caucasion? No it certainly does not! Just as there may be lop in this rabbit for quite a long time but the fact that it was born without loppy ears means that it cannot be classed as a lop.

Not to mention the fact that it is the wrong size, shape and breed to even be a french lop before you even look at its ears.

so my rabbit marsha isn't a lop then? thats what your saying? she came from the same litter as Lilly. and her parents are lops.
hmm. :roll:

A lop by definition has down ears. If you have a lop with up ears then it is not a lop, yes it has lop in there but not 100% lop. Let me give you an example in human terms:

Me, my mum, my dad and as far back as anyone can remember are white. But there is ONE black person somewhere back there so we've been told. Which means that I could have a black baby. There hasn't been black in the family for over a hundred years but I could still have a full blown black baby with no trace of white. So just because this mythical baby is from caucasion parents does that mean that it's breed is caucasion? No it certainly does not! Just as there may be lop in this rabbit for quite a long time but the fact that it was born without loppy ears means that it cannot be classed as a lop.

Not to mention the fact that it is the wrong size, shape and breed to even be a french lop before you even look at its ears.

The chance of a white couple producing a black baby is something like 10 million to one. sorry but i have to disagree with what your saying. i understand but its not the same.
the thing is, its like a rabbit giving birth to a mouse, its just not possible. all humans are the same breed just different race/colour etc, so cannot possibly be compared. A rabbit breed is different to a difference in generic colouring.

Doesn't matter. Somewhere in here genes there are non lops and it doesn't matter how far back these stray genes are they are carried forewards and Marsha got them whereas your others didn't. None of them are pure and she is not a lop if she doesn't have lop ears. She's a cross. Sorry but that's the fact of the matter. No lop ears no lop.

The chance of a white couple producing a black baby is something like 10 million to one. sorry but i have to disagree with what your saying. i understand but its not the same.
the thing is, its like a rabbit giving birth to a mouse, its just not possible. all humans are the same breed just different race/colour etc, so cannot possibly be compared. A rabbit breed is different to a difference in generic colouring.

Going by that rabbits are all the same breed just different races and colours. It is the same thing. Genetically speaking if there is a lop and a non lop their babies will carry the genes on for however long that family tree lives for. Those genetics will NOT go away. They will be able to produce a litter of lops with one or two non lops hundreds of years late. They will not be classed as lops. You cann't sell them or enter them in shows or anything where you need to clearly define the breed because they will not be classed as lops.

And yes it is rare but it is also possable.

The lop breeds are defined by having lop ears if their ears do not lop then by definition alone they are not lops.

sorry but i disagree. she cannot be a cross breed as she was produced by the same breed parents.
You do not see cross purebreeds!!! If your 'theory' is correct, it would mean that purebreds which are shown animals would not actually be pure.
Because all rabbits originate from somewhere as your saying. You cannot tell me what my rabbit is.
she does not lop all the time maybe on 5% of the time. But shes a lop. end of.

and she was not produced by a none lop, she was produced by two pure breed minilops. its quite normal for lops not to lop all the time. Its the helicopter joke. as my vet puts it.

sorry but i disagree. she cannot be a cross breed as she was produced by the same breed parents.
You do not see cross purebreeds!!! If your 'theory' is correct, it would mean that purebreds which are shown animals would not actually be pure.
Because all rabbits originate from somewhere as your saying. You cannot tell me what my rabbit is.
she does not lop all the time maybe on 5% of the time. But shes a lop. end of.

Then you live in denial. I dare you to enter her in a show as a lop, you will be laughed out. And no there is no such thing as a pure bred, only those which show no signs of other breeds. This is not a theory, this is a genetic fact. If you don't want to hear it then don't talk to someone who actually understands gentics and genetic research. She is classed as a mixed breed. It doesn't matter if her parents are classed as pure, in truth, they're not. It trickles down through the lines and although it's rare it does happen and these misbreeds are often killed or given away with nothing to their breeding.

Then you live in denial. I dare you to enter her in a show as a lop, you will be laughed out. And no there is no such thing as a pure bred, only those which show no signs of other breeds. This is not a theory, this is a genetic fact. If you don't want to hear it then don't talk to someone who actually understands gentics and genetic research. She is classed as a mixed breed. It doesn't matter if her parents are classed as pure, in truth, they're not. It trickles down through the lines and although it's rare it does happen and these misbreeds are often killed or given away with nothing to their breeding.

we'll agree to disagrre on this one, we all have opinions and i feel i have given mine. I don't wish for someone to state my rabbits are not of a certain breed until you see them. But i can see what your saying.
x

Last edited:
Back