• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please :-( EDIT- think its bloat :-( U/D phoned vet - BEEN TO VET

Pringle

Warren Veteran
I went out to pringle 10minutes ago and he never came up to the door to see me, he always runs over and jumps up to see me. He was in his hidey part of hutch with just his head sticking out (he never goes in their really) and when i called his name he just lay their (might be sleeping?) i then opened the hutch and gave him a nose rub and when i went to pick him up he darted off down into his grass run (again never is he so blunt with me) i then picked him up from their and gave him a dandilion leaf and he ate that fine. i brought him in and his nose has a wee yellow crusty bit on it (sunburn?) He then kept looking town at his (balls:oops: ) or around that area anyway, i noticed his back leg has a bit of dried what looked like wee on them so maybe was cleaning that? he seemed really grumpy and nibbled me a couple of times which is VERY rare. i put him back in his hutch and leaving him for a while. Lately he has not poo'd very much and i did take him for check up at vet and they just said to keep doing what i was doing (grass, handful of pellets and infacol) last night with his tea i never gave him infacol in it which i have done for the past while.
Can anyone identify what is wrong with him, it has been REALLY hot the past week here so maybe the heat? im going to empty his litter tray to see if he poo's at all today, im just worried. It always seems to be a Sat dinner time he always worries me (because vets r now closed until Monday):roll:
Any advice...please help :cry:

Why is it always Pringle :cry:

Last edited:
Not really sure what it could be.

Have you tried cleaning the yellow crust off and seeing if it comes back?

Is he still eating OK?

Are there no emergency vets that you could ring for advice?

I brought him back in and moved his run onto the other grass (he seems to prefer it) to see if he eats it, he has wee all over his back down by his tail but he was sitting in his litter tray that has wee in it so i got a damp cloth and wiped the wee off him. He keeps going down to clean himself but jumping back up like he did before when his tummy was sore :cry:. Im going to keep a close eye on him over next twenty/thirty mins and see if he eats any grass (as he normally dives straight into it)and if hes no better ill mush up some food with water and give him a wee drop infacol to hopefully help a bit. Does this sound ok:cry: ....

The vet i go to does have an emergency as it just rings through to the man that owns it so if hes no better i will do that later.

Please send lots of vibes :cry:

Give him some infacol and gentle tummy rubs.....it wont do him any harm if its not bloat.

Usually when a rabbit gets gut stasis it happens very gradually, starting with the rabbit pooing less. Your vet should have given him a gut stimulant called metaclopromide - didn't he do this?

With the wee it's possible he is feeling too poorly to move, or maybe he needs much deeper litter in his tray to soak it up. Hope you can get him to a vet for some metaclopromide as that's what all bunnies in stasis need - preferably before it goes on more than a couple of days. How bunny savvy is your vet?

Has Pringle had tooth problems before? If not he will need to have the back ones checked under anaesthetic as this may be why he's eating/pooing less - it all happens so gradually - and they always get urgent on a weekend too :roll:

Usually when a rabbit gets gut stasis it happens very gradually, starting with the rabbit pooing less. Your vet should have given him a gut stimulant called metaclopromide - didn't he do this?

With the wee it's possible he is feeling too poorly to move, or maybe he needs much deeper litter in his tray to soak it up. Hope you can get him to a vet for some metaclopromide as that's what all bunnies in stasis need - preferably before it goes on more than a couple of days. How bunny savvy is your vet?

Has Pringle had tooth problems before? If not he will need to have the back ones checked under anaesthetic as this may be why he's eating/pooing less - it all happens so gradually - and they always get urgent on a weekend too :roll:

The vet i would get is better with cats and dogs than Tracey i always book. The man seems to be more dog/cat as hes the one that told me to get pringle PTS with his teeth, Pringle does have on-going teeth problems which he needs them done regularly, got them last done approx 6weeks ago. He was at the vet two weekends ago and the vet gave him an injection to move his guts. but he seemed fine after although was pooing quite a bit not as normal as usual. Hes currently on grass cleaning himself at the min. I dont really like the man vet though as he always makes me feel really upset as he is so blunt with it, where as the female vet Tracey is very sympathetic and explains it all so much better :cry: .....
I dont mean to sound horrible but i know if i phone vet he will prob want to see him and it will cost me so much and i dont have that money at this percise time....would prob need to spk to Sy :cry:
so worried!!!

Which vet did his teeth last time? I can imagine it's just for this reason the vet advised you have Pringle PTS - it is expensive when they have ongoing health problems :(

Which vet did his teeth last time? I can imagine it's just for this reason the vet advised you have Pringle PTS - it is expensive when they have ongoing health problems :(

Its normally Tracey as i always ask her when i need rabbits seen to as she is really good with them and seems to know her stuff. The male vet was fantastic with my dog when he was at vet a lot but Pringle when he explains things he just mumbles and makes it so upsetting:cry: ...

I have just given him mushy food with some infacol in it to try move his stomach and get him moving, i feel i have given him so much infacol lately though what is his stomach now needs it to keep moving :cry: ive been giving him it one a day for about a week and half as although he has been himself his poos have less than normal, maybe im just being over protective:cry:

Awww poor Pringle. I don't know what it could be but i sure hope he gets batter soon. Bunnys do make you worry for the least little thing. I have ongoing problems with my bun Suga. I just got her and she is a wee bit over wieght. Makes strange vocal (i hope) noises and trying to wean her off Royale food (too sugary) onto my other bune muesli and wagg mix. I have to keep a close eye on her incase she goes slucish and has no poo :roll:

Good bunny vibes to Pringle :wave:

Thank you.

Im gettin myself in such a state now! i know hes not right, he has eaten most of the food so hoping he will perk up soon. Family is away to go out soon though and my boyfriend has my car and doesnt finish work until 6.15pm....what if i desperately need him to vet i dont have car...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Phoned vet and she said she cant tell for certain on phone what it is, she did ask if he was off his back legs a bit? as this can be an infection which makes him urine on himself? he has quite a bit of wee on his back end and keeps trying to clean it but doesnt seem to manage, i gave him a couple of dandilion leafs and he ate them ok, just doesnt seem to want grass! The vet said to keep an eye on him and if im worried in a while phone her and she will come see me at surgery. Went out to him gave him a couple of tummy rubs and he attacked me :cry: bit my wrist...this is NOT like him at all!! he normally loves strokes, rubs, cuddles etc :cry: .....

Is it ok if he ate dandilion leafs of would this upset his tummy more? i have a feeling ive got a long day ahead of me and we will be visiting vet later.
It was tracey the vet i like and she spoke to me for ages, she even called me miss anderson... that just shows how often i am their, she didnt even have to ask who it was :shock:

When a rabbit's in GI Stasis, it's good if you can get them to eat anything.

Dandelion leaves will do him no harm and I would keep trying him with his favourite foods to see if you can encourage him to eat(my lot rate carrot tops and blackberry leaves when they're poorly).

Have you got any recovery formula? If so, I'd see if you can get some into him. If not, you could try mashing up his pellets and syringe feeding them.

Lots of vibes

FC

When a rabbit's in GI Stasis, it's good if you can get them to eat anything.

Dandelion leaves will do him no harm and I would keep trying him with his favourite foods to see if you can encourage him to eat(my lot rate carrot tops and blackberry leaves when they're poorly).

Have you got any recovery formula? If so, I'd see if you can get some into him. If not, you could try mashing up his pellets and syringe feeding them.

Lots of vibes

FC

Recovery formula??

I mashed some pellets up a while ago and gave him them in a bowl and he ate most of it. Going to try that again soon with a wee drop to try get him to eat as much as possible
Thank youx

Has Pringle had a course of Panacur recently?
EC can cause urinary incontinence, hind leg weakness and GI Stasis.

Janex

Has Pringle had a course of Panacur recently?
EC can cause urinary incontinence, hind leg weakness and GI Stasis.

Janex

I dont know what any of that means :cry: i feel so useless! hes not had panacur i dont even know what that is :cry: ...he seems fine on his legs though:cry: is it ok to give him another dandilien leaf since he is eating them?x

Recovery formula is made by the same people who make Science Selective pellets and it's a liquid food. It comes as a pwoder and you just add warm water to it.

Like I said, a few dandelion leaves won't do him any harm, so if that's what he wants to eat, until you can get him to a vet, I'd go with it.

I dont know what any of that means :cry: i feel so useless! hes not had panacur i dont even know what that is :cry: ...he seems fine on his legs though:cry: is it ok to give him another dandilien leaf since he is eating them?x

The Vet may have suspected EC when you mentioned the wee over Pringle's legs. However if his hind legs are OK thats a good sign.

It would appear that he *might* have a wee infection which is making his boy-bits sore, giving him tummy ache, slowing down his guts and making him grumpy. *If* he has a wee infection he will need antibiotics.

Is he drinking his normal amount and does he have a history of 'sludgey wee' ?
Chronic sludgey wee can lead to cystitis and infection causing the symptoms I have mentioned above.

I would definately try to have a good look at his boy-bits as if he is wet and sore he is at risk of Flystrike.

Janex

Recovery formula is made by the same people who make Science Selective pellets and it's a liquid food. It comes as a pwoder and you just add warm water to it.

Like I said, a few dandelion leaves won't do him any harm, so if that's what he wants to eat, until you can get him to a vet, I'd go with it.

Thank you.
Ive mushed more food up for him as its two hours ago i gave him his last lot, he darted over to it and i thought great, so came inside as phone was ringing and went to window and hes back in corner not eaten food :cry:

The Vet may have suspected EC when you mentioned the wee over Pringle's legs. However if his hind legs are OK thats a good sign.

It would appear that he *might* have a wee infection which is making his boy-bits sore, giving him tummy ache, slowing down his guts and making him grumpy. *If* he has a wee infection he will need antibiotics.

Is he drinking his normal amount and does he have a history of 'sludgey wee' ?
Chronic sludgey wee can lead to cystitis and infection causing the symptoms I have mentioned above.

I would definately try to have a good look at his boy-bits as if he is wet and sore he is at risk of Flystrike.

Janex

Hes not really drinking from his bottle but drank some from a bowl earlier, i wasnt sure if it was because he sat in his litter tray as he had just done a wee, i will check him 'bits' to see but he really doesnt want anything to do with me and i feel hes stressing. What is sludgey wee? im so stupid :cry: xx

Hes not really drinking from his bottle but drank some from a bowl earlier, i wasnt sure if it was because he sat in his litter tray as he had just done a wee, i will check him 'bits' to see but he really doesnt want anything to do with me and i feel hes stressing. What is sludgey wee? im so stupid :cry: xx

Sludgey wee is when the wee passed looks creamy white and may feel gritty if you run your fingers through it

As Pringle is known to have Dental problems then that may well be whats wrong now. If he has a sore mouth he wont be able to clean himself, he wont want to eat much, his guts will slow down and he'll be grumpy.

I really think it would be a good idea to at least get him some pain relief from the Vet today. Could you call them again and ask ?

Janex

Back